HybridZ

crate engine

Ok, hi all

i am an aussie and looking for a new chev v8 for my 260. I am looking at the vortec 330hp rollercam 350 chev.

Has anyone purchased one of these motors here or u blokes in the states?

Also is it possible to get more horsepower out of these motors seeing the vortec heads flow so well?

Thanks and long live the hybridz forum.

Graeme

I would say you can definitely get more hp out of the 350 vortec. The only problem with it is the valve lift limit of the heads which is somewhere around .450-.470 depending on who you ask. I think with the roller cam setup you might have a hard time finding an aftermarket performance cam that has lifts lower than that. However, if you go ahead and do the machine work on the heads and get better springs 400hp seems to be the norm. I would think that if you're going through all of that trouble you may as well buy a 350 vortec from a junkyard and build it up yourself (or pay a machine shop to build it). I would bet it would be cheaper than the crate engine and if you swap out cams and machine the heads on the crate engine you will void the warranty.... Also you would have higher compression on an engine you built with yourself (I would think you could go closer to 9.5:1 as opposed to the 9:1 on the crate engine).The price that I come up with out of Jegs for your engine is 3500. If you were to get a 350 vortec from a junkyard (assuming you have local junkyards and that there would be a chevy engine in one of them) they would probably sell it to you for say $700. With machine work and even assembly I would say you could probably come out about $1000 richer and have a good 70hp on the crate engine if a rebuild is an option for you.

ok thanks for the imput.

I am running the engine on straight LPG and am thinking a buildup may be an option. the vortec engine is common i know but what did it come out of and what years was it produced?

Thanks

The only problem with it is the valve lift limit of the heads which is somewhere around .450-.470 depending on who you ask. QUOTE]

Summit carries vortec heads for high lift cams. I think .550" but im not positive. I also think they are only like $200 more than the typical vortecs.

Graeme:

I have 2 crate motors and am please with both. I have a Fastburn 385 with an LT-4 "Hot-Cam" for 430 H.P 430 Lbs torque in a 1983 ZX, and a 350 HO which is the 350-330 H.P. you are talking about in a 1940 Ford Pick-up. They both have the VORTEC heads with the 350 Ho having the iron versions and the "385" whas the aluminum. I'm very happy with both and got what I expected for the money. Guess it really depends on how much horsepower you are looking for and the "application" . My personal opinion is that you get a lot of value in a crate motor for the money. You do have a warranty and you know exactly what you are getting for the dollars. Take a look at the GM performace WEB site and you can get comparisions on their VORTEC heads to other manufacturers. Has flow rates and a lot of other specs that may help your decision process.

Dan

thats good news Danc, i am really liking the warranty side of things and the fact that they are new engines.

Wow! THE FAST BURN IN THE 280ZX WOULD GO WELL!

i dont think my pockets are that deep.

Cheers

Grae