HybridZ

Starting 280zx swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hello I have been reading this group for several months now ,and I think I have worked up the nerve to try the swap, I have a 82 ZX . I have all ready pulled the motor and cleaned up most of the fire wall , I have the jtr book and have read it several times , I have noticed there is some things different between the 280 and ZX like the set back etc.. I have a question about the wiring

I would like to get rid of everything I don't need like fuel injector wires and other,are the wire colors for the tech oil and temp that are in the jtr book the same on the ZX and what did you guys with the ZX do with the injector wires,if there is anyone that has a done a ZX swap I would like to talk with you , I have a lot of ????? thanks Bruce

While I have a V8 in my '79 Zx, I can't answer your questions. A new wire harness was used (from Ron Francis' Wire Works) along with the GM computer (my engine was an 89 TPI 350 out of a Firebird) being reprogrammed to be a speed density system. If you are planning to use a GM 350 with tuned port injection, you may want to get the other JTR book on TPI swaps. I wish I could answer your questions but.....

John Haag

Guest Anonymous

thanks john, but I am just going to put a Chevy 350 with a holley carb I should have put that in my first post , I just wanted to get rid of all of fuel injector wires and clean the fire wall up a little, I wasn't sure if it would be ok just to cut them off or what, thanks Bruce

Guest Anonymous

Hey Bruce,

I'm currently in the process of doing a 280ZX V8 conversion, but I haven't read the JTR book. My 280ZX is a 1980 GL.

What engine mounts are you using? I ordered mine from MSA, and I'm impressed with them, even though it took them 4.5 months to get them to me. The engine is set farther back then I though it would be (its approximately 2.5" away from the firewall - not the greatest but not too shabby either), and sits pretty low in the engine bay. The crossmember they send doesn't work with TH350 trannies, only 700R4's.

I can't remember if you have the power steering gear-assisted box in your model, but the MSA mounts bypass it, providing that you have headers/manifolds that fit.

Right now, my engine and tranny is in, but it isn't wired up yet, so I can't tell you which wires to discard yet.

There are a few other members on this board with finished V8 280ZX's that may be able to answer your questions sooner than I.

~Brian

Bruce:

I'm essentially in the same situation as you. I'll be converting a 1983 with a 350HO crate using 1988 Chevy Cop Car 700R4 and engine accessories; including A/C. I too have been reading this forum with interest, and have found it to be a very practical source of useful info. I've pretty much qualified most of the conversion obstacles (to my inexperienced satisfaction) that I'll be facing with the exception of the wiring/harness and the mechanics of having the driver's side header modified. (Think I'll be using a block huggers since I don't recall hearing and "ZX" shortie success stories).I have the JTR and TPI/TBI manuals, but have had zero luck in the JTR folks answering 2 E-mails on questions not resolved in their publications. I've also talked to MSA and John Radovich @ John's Cars in Dallas as well. (ALso have John's ZCartell me primer (don't waste your money)). Have heard some bad press on "Z" conversions using John's kit, but none that I remember on a "ZX". am close to buy a kit, but have not decided which I plan to use yet. John has answered my questions, both via phone and E-mail, while MSA has not. The difference in cost between John's and MSA ends up being around $275. If there is any new lessons learned aspect of my conversion that would be helpful, I'll post it. Good luck.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

hello head , I had seen your post before, I am going to try to make my own mounts, the jtr manual tells you how , but I am not sure it will work with the ZX , from what I understand you don't use the setback plates, just the spacers, I believe I can do it the only thing i am really worried about is the manifolds, bruce

Guest Anonymous

What are you worried about with the manifolds? What type of steering setup does yours have?

I really don't know if the JTR mounts work, I heard that they don't, but I'm not sure.

Brian

Guest Anonymous

hello Dan, you sound like you are going through the same thing I am, I have read about everything I could find on the ZX conversion , and I have found that ross c has about as much info as I have found , you can check this link out http://24.179.154.47/jcaudle/V8index.html

you may have all ready read it but I found it to be very informative , I am taking the engine out of a 83 Camaro right now , as soon as I get it out and do some measuring I believe I will know a lot mot , keep in touch Bruce

Guest Anonymous

hello brian , i have thhe power assist steering it has a power steering pump on it , right now i am taking a 350 chevy with a 4 speed out of a camaro . i am not going to use the 4 speed i would like to get a 700r4 but i am on a tight budget so i guess i will wait and see what comes along. as soon as i get the motor out , of the camero i am going to swing the 350 into the zx and see what ever thing looks like , stay in touch , bruce