HybridZ

Looking into 302 swap got a few Q's

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I'm seriously considering selling my drivetrain to pay for a V8 swap. The 302's are looking pretty tastey all I want is around 350hp (5speed) I'm looking to complete the swap for $2000. Yeah under $2000 DONE. I have alot of the little stuff that kills you in the end already on the car, listed below.

3 core radiator from MSA w/ an adjustable elec. fan

Crane XR3000

MSD Blaster coil

Electric fuel pump, don't know gph but it feeds my trip webers

2 18" x 5" Super Trapp mufflers with 2.5" inlets

5/8" Clutch Master Cylinder (Girling)

Dual Master Cylinders for the brakes 3/4" front 5/8" rear

Can keep all the stuff I listed and use it with a V8? I'm not sure about what size exhaust to run. I know 3" is the big thing but the mufflers can support 500hp each (or was it 400?).

From what I've been reading about building up a 302 it seems like a JY sourced and freshend up block with even the E7 heads would be my best bet. Once I have the motor the plan would be an intake, carb, biggest streetable cam, and block headers.

Problem is how real is that? I've read as little as $1000 can get it done or as much as $3500. Of course I like the $1000 number

Ive got a welder so from what I understand after the mounts it comes do steering right? or was ther something with the oil pan, I forgot?

Or I could always go with a good old better than Ford Chevy :-D ... JK

I don't care where the motor comes from.

Isk

I always end up spending 60% or more than planned whenever I get involved in a project like this. I ran SuperTrapps and liked them (I had the smaller diameter ones) but these 5" may become a problem with low riding inclines (dragging). Mounts, oil pan, and steering linkage are the 3 main concerns with the SBF, but none are really bad problems. I'd go closer to the 2K+ to complete your project.

Guest iskone

The super Trapps are in now and I don't have a problem with ground clearnce well whne it comes to mufflers anyway.I'll have to do some more research on steering linkage and oil pans.

Isk

Guest iskone

If Ican keep the completed swap to $2500 I would be more than happy.

I'm really relaying on the stuff I got now to be up to the task, what do you think?

Isk

Guest 305240

I set my 5.0 a tad further ahead than most do. In doing so, I can still drain the front oil sump from under the engine. I didn't cut the front crossmember to do it. I can also take the tranny out with out pulling the engine. I went with the later mustang shortie headers and didn't have to cut the steering. It cost me about 11 bux to get the metal for the engine mounts and a 6 pak of Amber Bock to get them welded up. Looking at what I have, I think I'll have to go with a saddle crossmember mount, something like Ansils. I believe it would make for a stronger setup. But, I may not have to as I'm not running the big HP or a 5 speed. I'm sticking with the C-4. The only modification I can see that I may have to do is to notch the frame for header exhaust clearence on the passengers side, and thats only about a half inch indent. I could probably just do it with a hammer. I'm using an 81ZX rad with stock shroud and a Taurus 2 speed fan. I'm also like you and have been collecting the "small" stuff, Trades and ebay. Get the remote oil filter mount, you will need it. I figured I've saved over 2 grand by doing this. Planning and re-planning is the key. Do a bunch of research, especially on this site. I've also used the chevy section for info. Check some of my earlier posts for pics on this swap. Good luck to ya and welcome to the dark side.