HybridZ

front pinion removal help!!!!

datsun327

im the process of swaping r200 and need the front pinion that connects the driveshaft to the r200 to come of so i can then put it onto my new r200. is there any way to get this thing off. now i know what those people in camalot felt like trying to get the sword of of the stone.

Are you talking about the large nut on the front end of the pinion shaft? A strong air impact wrench is the best thing to use. Not all impact sockets will go all the way down on the nut, check before you buy.

John

Is this R200 just sitting out of the car? If so, then you'll have to fab a piece of long flat stock to bolt to the pinion flange with access for the socket to reach the pinion nut. This stock will keep the pinion from rotating with the impact gun. Another set of hands would help too. If the R200 is still in the car this flat stock still works wonders but a good impact should have the same results. You might also try using a long breaker bar wedged against the ground or chassis and roll the car slightly forward in neutral to break the initial torque. The nut would then come off with relative ease.

Stick two bolts into the flange then wedge a long piece of steel between them. Put a socket on the nut, with a long breaker bar if possible, and stand on both. Use your body weight to get the torque you need to pop the bolt. Super easy to do when you have enough leverage.

and the r200 is out of the car at this time.ive tryed this once before but i will try it again. the only thing i have yet to try is to put a powerful impact to it. ill keep you'll updated thanks for the input

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry to dig up old posts, but I am trying to remove the pinion from an R200 now and was wondering a couple of things. I am limited to normal tools (breaker basically, bolts, maybe some steel). That being said:

1. Would using a torch and penetrating oil help alot? If so I would be heating the nut, correct?

2. Does standing on two 2 foot bars generate enough force to break the pinion bolt free?

3. If not, what kind of shops would have the tools to remove a pinion with out damaging anything?

Im trying to free some 4.375's I just got from a longnose R200 LSD. Thanks! :)

1. Maybe, you can give it a try. You will have a pretty good fire in a minute, so be prepared. try to concentrate the heat on the nut itself.

2. Probably so, but usually the trick is securing the case and pinion so that it doesn't turn when you are standing on the bar.

3. You will just have to ask, all you need is a good 1/2" air gun and the proper socket. Finding the socket will be harder than the gun.

Good luck.

jt