HybridZ

Are 84 300ZX turbo CV's 4 or 6 bolt?

ezzzzzzz

I have a chance to pick up some axles kinda cheap ($50 a pair) from a 84 300ZX turbo but I have to pull them. Before I make the trek to the source I'd like to know if these are the axles I want. I'm looking for the Z31(?) CV axles in the 4 bolt pattern. Are these it or are they the earlier 6 bolt pattern? Thanks for any help!

While doing some quik searching I came across this bit of info...

"There are only two differential companion flanges. The 84-86 models have a slightly offset bolt pattern (i.e. make a rectangle). The 87-89 models have a equal bolt pattern (i.e. make a square)."

Does this imply that the earlier 4 bolt pattern (at the axle stub flange) is rectangular and the later is square? I ask because I want to use Ross' billet companion flanges which appear to be square. I don't want to waste time or money on parts I can't use.

While doing some quik searching I came across this bit of info...

"There are only two differential companion flanges. The 84-86 models have a slightly offset bolt pattern (i.e. make a rectangle). The 87-89 models have a equal bolt pattern (i.e. make a square)."

Does this imply that the earlier 4 bolt pattern (at the axle stub flange) is rectangular and the later is square? I ask because I want to use Ross' billet companion flanges which appear to be square. I don't want to waste time or money on parts I can't use.

All 84-89 Z31 Turbo's (except the white 88) have the same companion flange bolt pattern. When I ordered a pair for my swap, the part numbers for the reman. units i got were all the same for 84' to 89' turbos.

All 84-89 Z31 Turbo's (except the white 88-) have the same companion flange bolt pattern. When I ordered a pair for my swap, the part numbers for the reman. units i got were all the same for 84' to 89' turbos.

The 4 bolt axles I refernced above were from the white 88ss VLSD. I did not know they were different at the wheel end also. We all know about the diff end stubs being special for that unit only...

I got my axles ($52.50) this morning. These are the 4 bolt type. It took about 45 minutes to pull them with hand tools. Luckily, the car was off the ground on welded rims for easier access. The axles are in good shape aside from a little dirt and rust. The last steps are purchasing the billet Z31 companion flanges from Ross, having the custom axles machined, assembly of the axles and tearing the rearend apart for struts, springs, mustache bar, bushings, etc. That should take about 15 minutes...LMAO!

Well I pulled them off a turbo car myself. :P

However with that said it's entirely possible that a) canadian model is different (I know for sure other parts are different on canadian model 300zx) or B) the car had a non-turbo rear end/axle swap, as it was made from a pair of cars.

Could be different in Canada, everything else is. JK

I'm sure the turbo cars in the states all have 4 bolt patterns I researched it before doing the conversion on mine. If the car was a combination of 2 then anything could have been swapped so who knows.

Wheelman

When I pulled my 3.70 LSD off of a 1987 300ZX Turbo I too the cv's as well. The cv axles have 4 bolt flanges on them. I just went out and checked after reading this post.

Mike