HybridZ

"simple" wiring splice help for extra high beams

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi

I've got a 83 280ZXT with 100/130W halogen 7" lights and relays plugging into the headlamp relays underhood (that work was done by a professional, though the spaghetti strand coming out of the relay box is rather scary looking to me!).

I bought a cheap set of "driving lights" to use with the high beams on ONLY (I don't want to incorporate a dash switch or anything). My gut feeling is that I could simply tie into the headlamp connectors, which are unchanged from stock: does anyone have an idea which of the three wires within L and R connectors is for high beams? Is one of the other two wires a ground, or should I just hook the ground wires from the driving lights to a bumper or metal point on the car?

Please don't give me more complicated wiring instructions, as I am loathe to fish through those multi-colored individual lines..it was hard enough to get the mechanic to swear his way through them!!

Thanks

John

I don't think that will work... If you 'splice' into the high beam curcuit and run aditional lights off it, I'm pretty sure you will pop fuses, and simply replacing with higher amperage fuses would be dangerous IMO..

I had an 85 200sx a few years back, and when I got it the fog lights (added aftermarket by P/O) had no bulbs. I poped in new bulbs, tuned on the lights and promtly blew both head light fuses. Upon trouble shooting, I discovered the driving lights had been wired up to the main head lights just as you describe. The factory wiring is pretty small to begin with and really isn't intended for any extra load. I have to ask..why don't you want a switch inside the car? It's very simple to wire up, and you don't have to even touch the 'spaghetti' mess...

If your new driving lights came with all the wiring and realys you should be OK. However you will not want to splice into the high beam circuit to proved the power to the realys/lamps. When splicing into the high beam circuit you will only want to power the "signal" wire to your new lamps, probably in the "switch" circuit.

This way the lamps with only be able to turn on when the high beams are on, however, when the high beams actually ARE on, you can still turn the driving lamps on and off.

Hope this makes sence.....