HybridZ

R180 CV conversion idea, input needed

ezzzzzzz

Sweet! I just dropped by to see a machinist friend of mine and he had a surprise for me. A few weeks past I'd left some adapter drawings (for the porsche units) while he was out on leave. He showed me the start of my adapters which are the four billet steel pucks cut/machined from a six inch diameter three foot piece of stock. I need to supply the actual flanges to ensure the holes are drilled correctly and then....WOOHOO! A couple of axles and I'm in business. I do have a set of 300ZX axles and four inner CV's from a 720 truck. I believe I could use the 300ZX axles with those pieces to create what you've done. Anyhow, Great Job!

The reality is your setup is very durable for all but diehards. 280rwhp is quite a bit of power. I'm still running the 2.4 L6. The reason for the porsche units is to create a more compact CV assembly. Hopefully this will allow me to run my rear anti-sway bar without modifications normally needed to clear the boots during maximum articulation. I want to be different just like everyone else!...

• 2 weeks later...

I got the "almost finished" adapters from my machinist friend. They only need the smaller holes tapped for the porcshe CV 8mm bolts and the mounting holes drilled/tapped for the stub axle flanges. I'll do that over the next couple of days. I've opted not to weld the adapters to the flanges since the 280Z pieces are getting harder to come by. There's only the custom axles left to get fabbed. Plenty of photos can be seen in my gallery...check it out!