HybridZ

L series engine pictures..

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Can ppl post engine pictures of there cars?

i want to see what you guys did to color match everything.

im in a bind as my engine bay is a grey color and the car is a light blue.

the block matchs the blue exterior but im lost on what to do with the valve cover and inatake manifold.

everything else is polished pretty much.

i have one valve cover polished but wanted another powdercoated.

im getting a few things coated from Dead Roman on this site and wanted to make sure things looked right.

any pictures or ideas?

mike

Guest JAMIE T

I have no pics to share, but beware of using differant shades of color in your attempt to coordinate colors. I've seen good projects go bad by guys using a shade of blue on one part, then have anodized pulleys in a differant shade, then the plug wires another shade, etc... Like, don't get you parts coated a differant shade of blue than your car is. It looks like you don't care(which you obviously care). That is why paint is used more often than not on engine components in street rods. I've done alot of street rod detailing. If you can't match you paint, polish the part or chrome it. Also, I'm not a fan of the painted inside the center of the polished valve cover. I thought you were polishing your intake? I'm doing my RB26 with polished intake on one side of the valve covers, then polished boost pipe(single piece which turns the twin turbo outlets into one to go to the IC) on the other side. I'm either going to polish the valve covers, or paint them body color(as will be the complete under hood). All of the IC pipe will be polished aluminum.The block will likely get deburred and painted the same color, and the head will probably just be super clean. You don't see much of an RB26 once all the hardware is bolted on. When in doubt, polish it or chrome it. Chrome can be your friend when properly cared for. I'm not building a daily driver. So alot of polished alum and glossy paint will work.

FWIW, Vinny's green Z is by far one of the cleanest turbo swaps I've ever seen. The pics I've seen are awesome.

I whent with the simple solution in my Z; Exterior is white, all chrome left ont he windows/drip rails/ front bumper. Flat black engine bay and under side of hood, motor block/front cover/rad is all shiny black, polished valve cover, carb 'hats' and a few little things (master cly + caps, coil bracket) and evrything aluminum (head, dizzy, intake) is just clean. Basicaly if I couldn't make it shine, or at least look good cleaned, I painted it black.

Here's a shot from last year before the motor rebuild. (notice the ugly rusted exhast manifold and master cly caps) Pic was taken on an overcast day inside my crappy 'portable garage'

7867new_engine-bay.jpg

Guest ON3GO

yes vince's green Z's engine bay is insane....

ive come up with this for my engine bay theme.

Blue block to match the exterior paint

gun metal engine bay that matchs the stripe on the car.

the head will be a cast silver

the intercooler pipes are already coated polished pretty much.

polished fmic

black wires

gun-metalish blueish valve cover with black writing

pulleys will be the color in the powder coating thread

the intake mani will be this color too.

polishing the t-body

keeping the fuel rail polished

should keep everything in good form and shape.

mike

So far mine still looks like in the pic, the block was painted black to help make all the braided lines etc stand out (when i put them on). The valve cover, inlet manifold and thermostat housing done in a anodised blue and the fuel rail and a few other parts will be done in anodised red.

engine%20overlook_thm.jpg

sorry about the small pic, the larger ones arnt working.

All the suspension parts I've redone were coated in satin clear polyurethane. Why bother with glass, because road grime, sand/dirt will distress/degloss the finish anyway. The natural color of the steel looks better to me than any color paint. YOu can see things better too. IMO, to me, paint is just a way to cover up something you don't want to see. :twisted:

thx