HybridZ

Nissan Tranny Compare pics

Jersey

Put the n/a '82ZX tranny in the other night to see if it'll hold up any better then the T5. Time will tell i guess. There was a little confusion on my part (and still is) about how to determine which Nissan 5 speed is which by looking at them. The best way (imho) is to physically check out the ratios in each gear by spinning the DS one rev, counting how many revs the input shaft turns, then compare those #'s to the ratio chart.I took some side-by-side pics of three different Nissan 5 speeds i had before installing the '82. The middle trans's ratio's worked out to be the same as the '77 but it had longer shifter ears than the Z tranny but not as long as the '82's. I was told it came out of a ZX so i can only assume it was from a '79. It could have also been rebuilt at some time using a different case, i'm just not sure. There are also some differences in the cases between the three, especially the tailshaft housings. I just figured i'd post a few pics that might help someone else out...

Left1.jpg

Ear_Compare1.jpg

Right1.jpg