HybridZ

boost

mc

Hi!

I just sold my 260Z on friday. Have had it for two years. That one had a stock NA L26 engine with a E88 head, and was converted to turbo. What was done to the engine to make it handle the turbocharging was only taking out some metal from the valve seats in the head to lower the compression some. The headgasket used was the stock one. Stock compression on this engine is 8.29:1, and with the modification to the head, I would guess the resulting compression was somewhere between 8.0:1 to 8.1:1.

The engine worked very well with the turbo. I had a rajay turbo on it, 2.5" exhaust with custom downpipe and glasspack muffler, a Saab 900T IC and two additional injectors just before the TB(Controlled by a piggyback). This is a less than adequate way to do it, but it was already done by the PO when I bought the car. The engine produced 250hp, and was very fun to drive. Yes, I had boost in all gears, and I did not get less boost in the lower gears. The boost kicked inn just at 3000 rpm in every gear, and by 3500 I had reached 1bar(14.7 psi) which lasted till redline in every gear.

So I would say it worked quite fine! And that wasn't even with a 280ZXT ECU, it was a ECU and intake(With injectors) from a 2.4 Maxima.

But of course, much want more, and in the end I ended up selling it, to build my own L28ET in a 240Z, which is what I am using my spare time on now. :)

I could of course have managed to get a higher output from the engine in the 260Z, by swapping the ECU and primary injectors for 280ZXT ones, changing to a hybrid turbo and get a better intercooler and 3" exhaust. But that would cost so much, that I decided it would be better to start from scratch, and make a really powerfull engine instead. 8)

Oh, and by the way: If anyone finds it strange that I managed to get those numbers with such a high compression etc, that's partially because here in Norway we have access to 98 octane pump gas. That helps on keeping the detonation away!!! 8)