HybridZ

Shifting gears...

Mikelly

Spoke with the guys at D&D today about the T5 woes I've been strugling with since G-force left me high and dry... Gforce makes a strong argument for the Tremec TKO600 as the tranny of choice for road race situations... Stronger, beefier parts and case, and more parts availability for TRUE 600#ft. torque, seems like this is the route I'll go... I'm gonna spend the rest of this week searching and chatting with other companies, but it looks as though I'll be eating that weight I was hoping to safe by going with the Gforce fortefied T5... SUX... Oh well, now to unload the T5 Bellhousing I've got...

Mike

After yet another few dozen calls made around yesterday, I decided tot go ahead and order the Tremec TKO600 transmission. Seems D&D Performance has it for $1730+ shipping, and they had it on the shelf, ready to go, and honestly provided me the most valuable insite into my purchase... I will drop the bellhousing off with Express Auto today so they can ship this one for the T5 back, and they've ordered me the Tremec unit instead. Guess I'll need the clutch fork and other than that, the 11inch CF DF clutch kit I bought should work out.

Getting there... At least a decision has been made and I can close this chapter...

Mike

Mike, FWIW- I've run my TKO for two years now and have been very satisfied with it. I've never really understood why they get the critiscism they do. I put synchromesh and a Pro 5.0 shifter on it from the beginning, so maybe I skipped some of the problems. I'd buy another. The gates are pretty tight, but after breakin it has always shifted very smoothly.

John

I know John, I was just hoping for the T5 solution to save the additional 25-30#... Guess instead I'll have to go start Jenny Craig... :lmao:

On another note, I'm going to look at a 24ft. trailer sometime over the weekend...

Mike

Yup, spoke with them for about 30 minutes... They were still over $100 more expensive than D&D performance for the same exact tranny... Mine is ordered and will be here by Friday I'm told.

Mike

A word of advice- Before you put it in the car, put a shift lever on it and make certain it goes fully into all gears. If it got dropped on it's end during shipment, they are very susceptible to the forks in the trans moving and getting in two gears. If this happens, you must remove the shifter and line up the rod ends under the shifter. This is impossible thru the shifter opening with the trans in the car, you must pull the trans. Apparently it's pretty common, when I called the people I bought mine from, they told me what to do and said it happens frequently.

We won't discuss how I know this.

John

:lmao: So John... How did you come by this little nugget of first hand knowledge? :lmao:

I kill me...

Can I still come play with you guys at CMP??? I"m jonesing to get to the track!!!

Mike :-)

Ahhhhh.....comedians.

Just be sure to put a shift lever on it. With just the shifter I couldn't over come the detents, ASSumed it was OK.

Be glad for you to come to CMP. PCA boys are there 21-22, they put on a good show but I think it's full. Let me get the motor back in mine and we'll give it a try.

John

So I ordered it Tuesday, got the Triax Shifter for it, the speedo setup for a Chevy Cable drive, and the transmission and it arrived TODAY... Thursday... Two days later... Gotta love it... Shoulda done this a long time ago and not screwed around with Bubba's barn yard parts...

Now I just need my bellhousing and a differential adapter flange for an infinity setup and I'm done with the driveline...

Mike

The transmission was $1730, plus the TRIAX Shifter at $30 additional, and the speedo gear conversion for $69... Shipped it was $1890. This still leaves a bell housing, clutchkit, clutch for, relase bearing (Or Hydraulic relase bearing setup), master cylinder and pilot bearing.

To do the whole thing right with everything mentioned (lakewood Bellhousing is SFI rated and Centerforce DF clutch kit was 11inch unit) You're looking at about $2700 I'm guessing.

Mike