HybridZ

Front & rear window seal

GAZRNR

I need some advice on if I should use any sealant on the new rubber front and rear window seal. The glass is out of the car and the window channels are clean & freshly painted. The rubber seal has a slot in it where the seal slides into the tongue end around the window opening around the opening. When I removed the old seal it appeared not to have any sealant in the "grove" with possibly just a very little in the corners & center sections where it met the body of the car. This appeared to be more of a "hold it in place" use of sealant vs a weather sealing situation. Any thoughts??

Also, once I get the rubber seals in place I need to install the glass. When I removed the glass there did not appear to be any sealant in that area either. My plan was to clean the glass, then use some light weight oil in the grove to help work it into place. Is the the correct way to get a leak free windshield & rear window installation?

Thanks,

Rusty

I've never used any sealant on the glass or weather strip. To install the glass, you need to put the seal on the glass and then install the seal and glass to the body as one piece. Use a small rope or cord in the groove of the seal and pull the rope inside the car. This will pull the lip of the seal into place with the glass still in the seal. It will require lots of soapy water and practice to get it right.

Good luck.

Guest TegRacer324

What happens if you don't put the metal trim in or don't happen to have the metal trim when you're putting them in? Can you get them in afterwards or do you have to take it out again?

Guest TegRacer324

Alright thanks I have the front and rear and just got the weatherstripping kit today. I just want to get them in so I don't have to keep a tarp on it all the time.