HybridZ

Transmission Help

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Hi i have a 77 Fairlady Z with a 82 turbo engine and 77 5 speed. The 5 speed is starting to go completely out.I have several auto trannys from 280zx's and i would like to put one of these in it. First off would it fit on the original tranny mount? And will the driveshaft fit? I know i will have to run transmission lines and figure out the shifter linkage. Could the 280zx shifter and linkage be modified to fit in the z. One more thing i have the stock 4.38 rear diff. in my car and dont really know how it will do at highway speeds with the 3 speed auto. Thanks for the help.

Um.. woha there.. stock 4.38 rear dif?!? I dont know about that... And as for the auto, The shifter/linkage should be workable (not a bolt in, but with a few mods possibly..) I think mechaicaly it will bolt up just fine, driveshaft and all.. but I doubt it'd last very long behind a turbo engine.

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Okay thanks. Im pretty sure it does have the 4.38 because it has the 21 tooth purple speedo cog. And The rpms are very high at highway speeds in 5th gear. So would it be even worse with the 3 speed auto or would the gears be spread out enough to go 70mph at a lower rpm?Thanks

Guest 1977Fairladyz

Okay thanks mine probably has the same rear end as yours. I am just going to put another 5 speed in it. Are the later 280zx 5 speeds alot better than the old 5 speeds? Will it drop my rpms any at high speed?

The fairlady cars came with differant rear end ratio's to offset the 2.0L motor. My 70 fairlady has 4.37 in it.

1970 Fairlady Z ( S30-S model ) came standard with the 4-speed and 3.7:1 diff ratio.

5-speed was an extra-cost option and came with the 3.9:1 diff gear.

1970 Fairlady Z-L ( S30 model ) came standard with the 5-speed and 3.9:1 diff ratio.

4-speed was an option and of course came with the 3.7:1 diff ratio.

t-tom, if your 1970 Fairlady has a 4.375 diff ratio then it never left the Factory like that.