HybridZ

Using a 71 service manual with a 73?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

I ordered a 72 manual from the zstore for my 73 since they don't have a 73, but they sent me a 71 instead. Should I keep it or send it back? How different are they really?

71 has a different head, possibly different transmission. the 71 also has provisioning for angled rear halfshafts (before it got fixed)... those are some changes i can think of that you'd see in the 73 manual. different carbs too (roundtop su vs. flattop su for 73)

different bumper mounts too.

You should be fine. Everything AUX says is true, but I think everything in the service manual will still be helpful. The big thing to me would be the carbs. As long as you have the early SU's you have the important parts covered.

FWIW there are also differences in the size of the brake booster, mounting position of the clutch master cylinder, and I think the door latches were changed by 73. But none of that stuff should matter as far as the manual goes.

The only thing I might double check is the tune up specs. Grab a Haynes at Autozone or the local library and make sure the timing, dwell, plug gap, etc numbers are still the same.

Guest TegRacer324

Alright thanks guys. Crap the door latches are different? I gotta put that all together as the handles and locks aren't really in the car right now. Oh well I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.