HybridZ

zx under hood pressure .. Ceramic coated header rust

azguy

-Two things I started thinking about. Kill two problems with one solution.

1 - I just stopped by the shop that is working on my tranny and took a look at my zx. The ceramic coated headers sit right below the two vents on my turbo hood and it has rained on them. It looks like orange rust on the collector part of the headers. Is this rust or something else? What is the correct way to clean and make them all shiny again?

2- I've heard talk about 240's open front causing under hood pressure wanting to lift the front up at high speeds, is it the same for the zx?

Solution - I have been thinking about making some fiberglass reverse scoops (cowl hood like?) to help vent some air up and also protect headers and engine from getting rained on. I was originally thinking of making some scoops but then I started to think about under hood pressure - that and driving in the rain.

What you all think?

Tranny shop has been "working" on my car for 2 and 1/2 months now :toetap05: and still not done fixing a overdrive problem. I'm starting to think me and my carbon 15 need to make a surprise visit.:twisted::willy_nil:malebitch

I did just that, two reversed scoops that in essence create a slight pressure drop along the "open" side of the scoop to draw air out of the engine compartment in an attempt to reduce under hood temperatures. It also allows convective airflow through the engine bay while in the paddock which also helps in reducing underhood temperatures. What I had to avoid though was getting this open side too close to the back of the hood and into the higher pressure zone at the base of the windshield. Moving these vents forward and outboard allowed the air to pass out of the vent rather than be nullified by this high-pressure zone.

Azguy, that rust may have come from the hood vent. Regarding the cleaning of the Jet-Hot coated headers....just wipe them down (when cold of course) with just about any mild cleaner. The coating is very durable. I friend of mine who owns and runs a trophy truck, his headers still look good after much desert abuse.