HybridZ

Z31(84-89) V8 info please......

Guest 85tzcheees

Guest 85tzcheees

how many people are thinking of doing this?

how many people are actually in the process of doing this?

and how many people have finished this project?

i want to put a V8 in my Z with a manual tranny, but what would be the best way to go with the V8? i know it would either have to be a 350 or 327 but should i get in fuel injected or carburated? Aren't carburated motors a lot slower than EFI, like a lot less HP? Will a LS1(corvette,camaro,trans am) with a 6spd fit in my ZX with custom motor mounts and custom tranny mounts?

if i dont know what im talking about please let me know and redirect me in the right way of V8 Z31.

thanx everyone....

I have a Z31 with a 350 in it. I think there are a couple others who are either doing this swap or contemplating it. Here is my experience so far. There is a ton of room in the engine bay for the V8. I have no experience with the LS-1 but so I don't know how much horsepower they make stock. Whether a fuel injected engine makes more power than a carbed one depends on how much you want to invest building IMHO. My 350 is putting out about 380hp and 415 lb torque at the flywheel with a 750 carter carb, and a mild cam. I have stack injection to put on but haven't gotten around to it yet. The car is really quick, but I haven't been to the strip yet so I can't really say how well it runs. The swap is pretty easy and there should be enough room for the manual tranny. I have a th350 with a TransAction manuial valve body. All I had to do was slightly modify the tunnel (sledge hammer) for clearance of the bell housing. I hope these ramblings are of some help to you because I would like tosee a few more Z31s represented here.

Guest 85tzcheees

how about the steering coloum?

headers?

dont car about the hood clearance, i'll fabricate a hood scoop.

and what about smog, do they do a visual isnpection on 85 300ZX?

so im probably gonna go with carb'd cuz it seems a lot less expensive and a lot easier.

The steering is a little tight if you run blockhugger headers, but if you look around for a header that dumps at the rear (even the stock manifold) there should be no major clearance probs. Where I live in Oregon when a car is 21 it no longer gets smogged!:) As for California, who knows.

in CA it does have to have a visual and tail-pipe test. depending on your area it may or may not be tested on a dyno. to put a 350 in it legally it will have to come from probably a corvette that is the same year or newer and you will have to swap ALL of the smog equipment and have it passed by a state referee. with that said if you intend to pay for an illegal smog for the rest of the life of the car-you can do whatever you want. gotta love california.