HybridZ

HEI module limit?

mario_82_ZXT

Yes I heard that the oem replacement HEI modules are only good for ~4500 rpms. The car will rev fine to 5k in 1st and 2nd (3 speed auto), but if I rev it higher then 4.5k in 2nd, let go of the accelerator, then push it again ~4.25k rpms, it will stumble slightly.

Could it be my HEI, or the accel bins? My TPSdot is also set at 1.3, could it not be reacting fast enough? (I get false accel triggering on idle if I put it any lower)

Now for a performance HEI module, I cannot get any in town (no performance shops whatsoever), which one do you reccommend, and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks,

Mario

If 4500 is the limit for its stock application, 8 cylinder. Then for 6 cylinder it has more time to charge for each cylinder, so that would make it good for 6000 on a 6 cylinder? Assuming singel coil and module in both cases. I don't know if that is true, but mine runs fine right up to 6K then hits the rev limiter I have set in MSnS.

if u want a performance hei unit i would try ebay, but to me it doesnt sound like that is your problem, your tps may not be reacting fast enough like u thought, by the way what tps are u using

I'm using the 240sx tps. I posted about this accel mistriggering on msefi.com. They suggested I clean it, but that didn't help. I'll find the thread (which contains my settings) and post it here.

Thanks for the replies,

Mario

I used a pertronix flamethrower offroad HEI module. that baby throws a 4" long spark to the PCV HOSE! (Did you know the PCV Hose is conductive rubber? Neither did I!) Makes a nice "poof" of smoke when it does so.

I am using an 87 Z31 Turbo Coil. The guys at Nissan Comp Department told me it was the hottest coil Nissan Made, and it's what thye use in most every stock configured racer they field.

Thusfar I have been VERY happy about the performance. I think I paid $45 at a local speed shop because I had to have it NOW (ironic, isn't it given my circumstances...) because I didn't like the orangeish spark given to me by the Autozone / Wells Stocker that was $13. I like bluewhite with a POP! Not orange-ish with a "Fitz!"

I figured I can always use the spare Wells unit if the 81 CAS didn't work out, and I needed another unit to trigger from a magnet or hall effect sensor...

I would order from Summitt Racing Online, or Jegs. They are V8 parts, and those places are GIVING the V-8 Crap away!