HybridZ

How much air compressor do I need?

Guest timhypo

Guest timhypo

So, if this weekends engine buying attempts are unsuccessful, I've decided I'm gonna blow my extra cash on an air compressor and some air tools. I've always wanted one, but am unsure how much compressor I need. I'm gonna be doing some metal fabricating including cutting 1/4" plate and pipe and don't really wanna be waiting on the thing to refill. I also wanna do suspension work, body work, air chiseling (Datsun tranny mounts), and even some painting (or at least primering).

I found this at Harbor Freight and could afford it and some air tools, but I think it might be overkill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32357

Here's the specs:

7 HP, 135 PSI, 60 GALLON ASME TANK, SINGLE STAGE AIR COMPRESSOR

I'm pretty sure Campbell-Hausfeld is a good manufacturer, but am open to suggestions.

Anyone?

you can never get one big enough. lol I bought a 55 gal. 6HP oil less from Sears. It's pretty big for a hme use but if I had little bit more my, I would have gone with 100 gal with dual stage twin piston. I would recommend getting a biggest one you can get, like you said, it'll be a pain to have to wait to get the tank to fill up b/w a job. Also, I would recommend oil lubed engine. It's quiter ;)

I bought a 2hp 8 gallon compressor from harbor freight for 119.99, 3/8" ratchet and 1/2" impact gun w/ socket kit for 50 bucks, air hammer, and an air 3" cutoff saw + 25 foot hose for dirt cheap. I think everything cost me $200-220 or so with tax. Worked great, I used it quite a bit (took apart all my suspension, even got the rear stub axles on and off (240ft lbs of torque required) my rear strut towers. That should be way more than enough for your operation, and a larger tank will allow you to use spray guns and sandblasters.

cambell housefeld is carried by sears, so i don't see it as a bad investment

Guest timhypo

Sweet. Thanks rfor the quick responses guys, but I just realized the search function is working again, so I'll start posting on existing threads about this. I just also realized that this thing is 230V. Anyone know how much it costs to get my garage rewired for 230V? I think our dryer's 100 and our stove is gas, so I may need to just get a smaller compressor and rethink welder options as well. It's a rental property so I don't feel like pouring my money into it.

Guest Anonymous

Timhypo.. I have a 5 hp single stage with 60 gallon vertical upright and with me on the air tools.. the compressor can almost keep up with me.I use the compressor a lot 7hp is not overkill.Look into the 2 stage pumps that pump about twice as much air into the tank and cost about twice as much. The two stage machines are the usually better quality like diesel engines The Campbell Hausfield compressor is basically a combination of parts from who knows where with the name Campbell Hausfield on it. My compressor was bought years with an "Ingersol Rand" label and hard telling who or what had the right at that time to manufacture air pumps with the name Ingersoll Rand on them. After the electric motor pulley fell off, I replaced it with a larger diameter pulley (at the suggestion of the pulley salesman) to slow down the the pump rpm to make the pump last longer. The high RPM was wearing the pump prematurely. The thing actually screamed with a very fast pump cycle.

Guest Anonymous

Your dryer outlet should be 220. And if the electrical panel is in the garage you maybe able to wire it your self. I have a 220 heavy duty extension cord that I can plug into a dryer out let if needed. You want a breaker switch of about 30 Amps to start up that 15 amp motor

Guest timhypo

I thought it was 110V, but I could be wrong. Do they make 50ft extension cords for 230V? How about boxes that'll let me split it two ways for my welder and air-compressor? (I won't be using them at the same time, but am too lazy to plug/unplug wires if I don't have to).

Guest Anonymous

I made my own 30 amp extension cord and 20 feet is long in my opinion for a 220 volt extension cord of that amperage.Learn to plug and unplug

Guest timhypo

That's the whole problem. My garage is at least 30FT from my dryer, maybe more. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and spend some cash getting my garage setup for 230V since this is the last house I'm renting anyway.

what you need to do is, Look at the specs for your air tools and find the CFM requirements of each tool find the tool you have that needs the most CFM requirement like a high speed grinder or dual action sander. and then buy a compresor that has a CFM rating that can keep up with it. Don't get an oilless compresor they are way to loud.

Guest Anonymous

If your electrical circuit box is in the garage .. It would be easy to add an outlet box for a 220 power for welder and compressor. 30 feet is not too long for an xtension cord if the wire gauge is big enough to carry the load. Check out advice from Home Depot about building an adequete extension cord or purchasing one.. My home built extension cord is about 20 feet due to wire size and its capacity to carry the load.. Starting the motor will require a lot more juice than when the motor is running. One way to eventually burn a motor up is have a too small of source (wire) to supply electricity. I am also over cautious about circuit breakers and wires suppling tools.