HybridZ

How does this block look?

pjo046

Here are some pictures of the block after I took out the crankshaft.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=2596&size=big&cat=530

Does it look like a little honing is all that is needed before installing new forged pistons? How can I get the headgasket residues of the block myself, without destroying the flatness of the block?

getZ said that I will need to have the small end of the rods enlarged by a machine shopmachine because the forged pistons use floating wrist pins instead of press fit. So there is no way I can install forged pistons myself? I have to let a machine shop take care of it?

Here are some pictures of the block after I took out the crankshaft.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=2596&size=big&cat=530

Does it look like a little honing is all that is needed before installing new forged pistons? How can I get the headgasket residues of the block myself' date=' without destroying the flatness of the block?

getZ said that I will need to have the small end of the rods enlarged by a machine shopmachine because the forged pistons use floating wrist pins instead of press fit. So there is no way I can install forged pistons myself? I have to let a machine shop take care of it?[/quote']

I don't know enough about the forged pistons to comment on those but just looking at the block will not tell you if a hone will be all it needs. You need to measure the bores to determine how much they've worn and then either have it bored out or honed. If I were you I'd have it bored and honed by a good machine shop because you're spending money on new pistons anyway.

You'll want to do the same for the crank and rods. Measure them both to determine how much they're worn so that you know the correct size of bearing to use when you reassemble the engine. Take the crank and rods to the same machine shop where you get the block work done and have them check, measure and resize the rods and polish the crank. They'll be able to tell you the bearing size to use and probably sell them to you.

Think about having the head looked at as well while you have everything torn apart.

You might as well do it right if you're going to do this at all, otherwise you'll be tearing it back apart later to redo the things you don't do now.

Wheelman

If you didn't get the pistons yet and they are a custom order, you can order them with a press fit pin. Not sure if it's the same price or not.

The cost of reworking the rods is not that much. I have a machine shop here in the US that will do the work for about a couple hundred bucks for the set. That's not just for the small end of the rod. It's for magnufluxing, hot tanking, resizing both small end and big end for out of roundness. Not sure what shipping is from your part of the world.

I do have a colleages in the Netherlands who knows of a few reputable shops. Not sure if that any cheaper either.