HybridZ

Refreshing an SBC

Hi all,

I am getting a 240Z with an SBC and have a few questions. The car has been sitting for a long time (a good 10 years plus) without starting or moving. My questions are:

1. Do the motor need freshen up? If so what's need to be done?

2. Does the carburetor go bad by sitting too long without the filter and/or running?

3. What are the precaution I need to take before starting this car up for the 1st time?

4. What should I expect the 1/4 time for this car after I get it running good?

I will probably have more questions after I bring the car home. Thanks in advance for the help..

Yes, the fuel in the carb can turn to varnish if left to sit that long. Also the oil will collect water and the engine internals can rust.

Try doing a search on this topic. I have seen posts detailing a bunch of steps you could take. At the very least change the oil and filter then prime the oil system before attempting to turn the engine over. You also need to worry about liquid in the cylinders. If you don't check these things, you could easily toast the engine.

There are 100 other things to consider. For example, your brakes may not work either, so be very careful if you attempt to drive the thing.

1/4 mile times are impossible to guess with out more info. When you search on the above you will see quite a few 1/4 mile times for different engine combos.

BTW, congratulations on your new car.

Guest 305240

Vinh, first drain and flush ALL your fluids. Make sure you flush your Brake system also. pull the plugs. put in some marvel mystry oil or tranny fluid. Wait a few days even before you try to crank it over. This will helpo unfreeze the rings if they are stuck. You will also probably have a rust film on the cyl walls. Don't even mess trying to get the carb working. Just take it off and do a rebuild on it. Remove your gas tank and flush it out, along with the fuel lines. After a few days of setting with the stuff in the cyls, drain the oil. Flush with a real cheap grade of oil. Put cheap oil in and a cheap filter. Now, try and turn the engine over. Do not let it fire. After the trans fluid gets out of the cyls, spin it over again. The trans fluid will lub the cyl walls. Put the stuff back together again and then try firing it. good luck. Or, knowing how handy you are, just pull the engine and put another one in it you know is good.

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking the same thing and that is putting some oil into each cylinder and crank it by hand to lube up the cylinders. Then after it moves freely I will do a compression check on all cylinders. Then I will follow your direction before fire it up. Thanks