HybridZ

280Z steering rack lubrication questions

I want to lubricate the steering rack on my 280Z. I did a search and this is what I found:

"I think the zerk fittings were only on earlier models.

You can remove the preload adjuster (where steering link attaches to rack) and lube the internals of the rack.

Just make sure you properly preload the adjuster on reassembly."

The 280Z steering box has a small plastic nipple that is used for lubrication. The nipple on my steering box has been broken off (of course). Can I replace this with a zerk fitting for easy greasing? I would much rather do this than the above mentioned procedure (new boots have already been installed).

Thanks

Unless repair is needed or adustment is absolutely required, leave the pre-load adjuster alone.Ths unit is shimmed,the locking nut is tourqed at 29-43 foot pounds and if disturbed requires sealant around locking nut to prevent grease seepage besides any adjustment could disturb the amount of tourqe to turn the steering pinion gear..and cause premature wear to the entire steering gear............. Next to the steering gear, Slip the dust cover boot back exposing the rack. lubricate the rack and then turn the steering gear to spread the grease inside the steering gear housing. This is about the quickest way to do this without taking apart critical adjusted parts. If you have provisions for Zerks --use them.... If your system is not leaking grease and the boots are retaining the grease..then the prior lubrication should last and last.....Do an inspection at the boots. All you want is ample grease on the rack slots and pinion gear

I had taken the rack (car is completely disassembled) to a local shop that specializes in early Z's. The boots were shot and I was concerned that things had gotten contaminated. I had a new set of boots and asked the mechanic to inspect the gear box, regrease and install the boots.

When I picked it up he said that everything looked and felt great so he installed the boots. I seriously doubt he did anything but turn the box a couple of times and put the boots on. I just want to be sure there is ample grease in the box. I can pull the boots back and grease the rack (per Here comes trouble) if it's the only way but a zerk fitting would sure be nice.

The reason I mentioned the plastic nipple was to find out if it was in fact, threaded like a zerk fitting and could be retro fitted w/ a zerk fitting to make life easier. Can someone let me know before I pull this broken plastic nipple out?

Thanks for helping me out on this one "Here comes trouble".

I just refered to my "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car" book and it says "STEERING-GEAR HOUSING: LUBE RESERVOIR-On early Z's there is a fragile plasic thimble that threads into the housing, ostensibly to supply lubricant to the steering gears. Install this now or wait until after the engine is installed to preclude accidentally snapping it off."

Could I have an early rack in my 78 280Z? Will an early rack fit in a late Z?

The origional boots were held on with hose-clamp-type bands if that helps.

I never realized how much detective work was involved in restoring an old Z car!

The racks are probably interchangeable... which does not mean yours has been changed. Nissan would slip in older parts whenever they could to their product line .... (why did some 280 z's get 180 rear ends while others had 200's) Probably one of the few reasons to change out a rack and pinion on a Z was due to a front end collision. They do not seem to wear out if lubricated and the pinion can be shimmed for better adjustment. Unclamping one side of a boot and slapping some grease on the surface of the exposed rack teeth is less trouble than fitting a metric zerk to the steering gear pinion housing.

The racks are easy to differentiate. Early [1970-73] rack has an aluminum body while the later [1974-78] rack is steel.

The early and later racks are interchangeable provide you swap the corresponding rack bushings.

..I lubed it as per your instructions "Here comes trouble".

Thanks for the help guys.

You can also lube the inner tie rods (which few people are aware of) by removing the inside boot clamp and sliding the rack spacer stop away from the tie rod end to uncover the lube hole. Screw in a Zerk fitting and pump with grease. You have to remove the Zerk fitting afterwards because the spacer will interfere with it.