HybridZ

still no CADDY 472-500 powered (Z)???

Guest stampie

Wow ... that's twice the money we hope to have in our total project and well, stock a Cadillac 472/500 with tuning has about the same HP and way more TQ. High tech is great but only if it makes sense.

Stampie

brute force works, im planning a 455 olds install, but if you're going cheap on a caddy install, you may be disappointed. if nothing else, make sure you replace the rocker assm. with a racing unit. all that power is great, but if you dont turn the revs, it wont be the car you think it will. caddy engines dont like much over 4800rpm, the bottom end will live (but replace rod bolts) but the valvetrain is a horrible heavy design and WILL come apart. to make a big caddy capable of spinning much over 5000 you can count on dropping some cash, so with the benefit super light weight, great economy, and compact design for tight installs, the 4.6 isnt so wild. -ryan

Guest stampie

Correct about the high rpms but the engine is a right off the line torque monster. I wouldn't take a CBR600 and expect it to have 200 ft/lbs at idle just like I wouldn't take a Caddy 500 and expect to wind it to 7000 rpm. The stock rockers are a weak point but that can be fixed with shaft rockers from $300 to $1200 depending on your budget.

Stampie

• 5 weeks later...
Guest roydeanjr3

lol stampie, i think i almost sniped that z out from under you, but decided against at the last second...it was in charlotte right?

i'm planning pretty much the same thing you've got goin. so keep the info coming!

• 1 month later...

If you want easy and good gas milage go sbc fuel injected. If you want different. Go caddy. Iv'e been working on this car for three years. It is tight and will only go in one way so you don't have to cut anythink. I guess you could put it on propane if you want cheap fuel.

• 2 months later...

Why would you put a Caddy 500 in a datsun? I dont really see how the car could handle all that torque. i have a full size chevy with that motor and when you rag on the truck, the whole frame twists, not a lot wut it does. i ant see how a 2800 pound car could handle that engine, and the car could never hook up with 500 pounds of torque, you would just end up spinning the wheels.

im not trying to critize, i just think that for the cost to reinforce the car, to get the engine and tranny to fit, to build the rear end up (solid axle??) and to buy the engine and tranny you would be over the cost of a 350, lt1, maybe ls1, and you would have more useable power with the smaller v8, and less broken parts, the 500 eats full size 3/4 ton truck parts.

This car was given to me as a parts car and the 472 with turbo 400 i traded for some parts. I guess it if i don't rat bag on it, it should stay together. It was more of a " look what i got under the hood thing" ( penis extention with zipper up) small blocks are common and I like things different, my other car is a 240z convertible. This car will look stock from the outside except for shaved rear bumper and 240z bumper on the front, i just have to muffle the 3" exhaust.

Jamie hit it on the head. The 4.0 Aurora weighs at or under 400 lbs. It makes 250 hp 275 ft/tq at 6,000 RPM I believe. Pretty nice little engine, IMO. DOHC GM V8, can't get much better. :D

My 350, alum heads alum pump, alum intake yada yada yada was only 450lbs???(no fluids, no flywheel, no pulleys, no alternator) why is this 4L 400lbs fully loaded witd AC, alt, oil etc?

• 1 month later...