HybridZ

Turbo Whine

akeizm

Hey all,

I just got my turbo engine running properly today and I have a brand new t04e/t3 hybrid turbo on it. But I'm only running the engine in at the moment and when I hardly put the accelerator down it starts to make a loud whine. Here is an example of what it sounds like (my mates 280zx with the exact same turbo http://members.optusnet.com.au/akeizm/whine.wav )

Any1 know what could cause this? I have a feeling its either a stuffed turbo out of the shop. I also had a thought that my oil line is too small (but the turbo gets a nice supply of oil with pressure as its a sleeve bearing).

Thanks, Marc.

Guest ON3GO

deff sounds like not enough oil..

i get that same sound when i just blow air threw a turbo using a air hose (just a turbo i have that i dont use)...

mike

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I can't hear the audio here at work, but if your running a -4 line you should be cool. The turbo doesnt need alot of pressure or a very large line. If it did have oil starvation you would lock up the turbo pretty quick or trash the bearing and waste the turbo. Look at the compressor wheel of the turbo, or grab it and check for play. The only way you can really hear noise coming from a turbo is when the wheel hits the housing and scrapes. You can see when this happens most of the time. Another way of getting a sound from boost pressure is if your leaking out of the intake gasket or maybe a boost leak some where. I'll check your link when I get home.

Well I upgraded to a line that was a a smidge larger than 4 AN (4AN "1/4" line had these stupid restrictions in it that would have been equal to 1/8 so I went to 3/8 line.

I've installed it and the noise changed a little bit but its still there. So it could be an air leak or balance issue. I have also checked in with my exhaust shop and he had a look, so its not an exhaust leak.

Well my mate who just sold his crashed zx turbo (exact same turbo) just got a call from the buyer sayin the turbo was stuffed (bent shaft and something else, chipped blades I think) he wasn't whining just saying it was.

He did 1000k's on his engine, I've only done 80k's so I hope there is some life left in it.