HybridZ

L20 6cyl TURBO

432-r

hi,

I have a 260Z and am looking to turbo charge a L28 to put in it. A

mate of mine has a complete setup off an L20turbo motor,, i mean

intake manifold, T3 turbo , turbo manifold, down pipe, injectors,

AFM all L20 turbo fitted up to a loom and computer from a 280ZX NA.

He has never run it but i think it will all work. I want to turbo a

l28 motor - is this setup from the L20 turbo exactly the same as

that of the L28 turbo? because it definately looks it, - or are

injectors and AFM and intake manifold size (internally) smaller? I

know it will bolt up easily enough but i do want about 160 -170 rear

wheel kws without changing turbo size, and maybe without

intercooling - at this stage. Does anyone know anything about the L20 turbo bits

any help on this appreciated,

Thanks,

Peter

I believe the guys in Japan use the L20ET on the L28 also as far as I know on the USA got the L28ET. A number of guys here in NZ have used the L20ET in the past so yes I believe they are the same setup.

Hope this helps

thanks NZ, i thought they were the same.. I wonder if the injectors are the same.. At this stage i only have the 280zx NA AFM... Does anyone know if this will be ok with the setup?

thanks

Peter

I am not sure about the injector sizing - one of the turbo guys might be better to answer this one but at 800cc different I am sure that L20ET will have smaller injectors. I believe the L20ET put out 145ps in stock form where as the L28ET is more like 220ps (correct me please this is a guess). So again the injectors will be different going by these figures.

Guest bastaad525

though it can be done, I wouldn't want to stick with the 280ZX N/A ECU and wiring harness to run that setup. Better to find an L28ET ECU, wiring harness, and injectors.

If I remember right, L20ET had 180cc injectors or about that?

""waves"" l20et owner here. OK

All of the equipment you have will work and run on the l28e Fine.

Injectors on a l20et are a factory 185cc. same rating as the non turbo l28.

The only diffrence between the Turbo afm and the n/a afm is the spring tension and and the turbo has a Air temp sensor installed "boltin"

If you need bigger injectors cheep, Rb20det ones bolt right in, And with tunning of the afm its runs great. Just the swap i had done on my l20et

The l20et in factory form does make 145hp. Nothing great, sluggy as hell.

But with mine i made 150hp at the wheels on 8psi,

That was with a intercooler. Fuel pump and exhasut/intake. Not the injectors.

ah, unusuall., maybe explains why all of a suddon my factory rev counter died last night. Factory rated injectors were at 3 ohms. And i know of 2 other l20et's running rb20det injectors. But id like to know what the rb20det ones are rated at, And im sure it may explain why i had to tighten my AFM to run them on boost. they are fine off boost. But now after 1 week the missing has come back. :(

Well looks like they are high empidance, Great my luck, Will change them back tomorrow. yay! maybe ill have a late night now.

Update::

Swaped back in the old injectors in 40 minutes. :D. Gained alot of power. and boost resonse is alot smoother.

• 1 month later...
I believe the guys in Japan use the L20ET on the L28 also as far as I know on the USA got the L28ET. A number of guys here in NZ have used the L20ET in the past so yes I believe they are the same setup.

Hope this helps

Im confused, do you mean you believe the guys in Japan use the L20ET Turbo Stuff on the L28E to create a L28ET???

Im confused, do you mean you believe the guys in Japan use the L20ET Turbo Stuff on the L28E to create a L28ET???

Yea put the L20ET turbo stuff on the L28E and you get a L28ET - however the injectors of the L20ET and L28E are the same size so you will want to upgrade the injectors if you boost the L28E. I purchased a 83 Nissan Laurel Medalist with a L20ET so I can have the manifold, CAS dissy + the rods for a future engine build.

I did this to a 280zx I had about 11 years ago. Everything was pretty much bolt on. I just played with the fuel pressure to get more fuel. Little smokey of boost and there wasnt a lot of pull at high rpm but the lower rpm torque was a big difference over the NA set up. Didnt run the car for very long like this before it was written off so I cant add anything about durability.

Douglas