HybridZ

Dumb people

Lockjaw

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

wait, i thought the fan was only there to try and imitate (unsuccessfully) a turbo charger, now they're saying to use it for nos?

have you guys ever seen the guy who hooked up a leaf blower to his intake? funny as hell!

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

Why are there so many people selling these "electric turbo's" on ebay, and an even better question is why are people buying them?

Short answer? Because there are a lot of uneducated people out there who will pay good money for crap like this. Look at the back of popular magazines and see how "The Moleculator" will break up carbon clumps hidden inside your gasoline to yield a 20% mileage improvement! Then see all the Vortex type contraptions that add swirl (and restriction) to your intake flow for another 10-20% improvement. What about Splitfire plugs? Blue Ion lights? Engine Rebuild in a Can? Platinum catalyst pellets in your gas tank? None do a damned thing, but all of them promise BIG improvements.

It all boils down to optomistic people who are willing to shell out a few bucks to see if these things do any good. Heck, if faced with the choice of paying $1,500 for an engine rebuild or $5 for a jar of Rings in a Can, I can see how some folks might fool themselves into thinking snake oil just might work. Especially if they don't know anything.

Thus, we're faced with the double edged sword of governmental interference. We all want government to stop interfering in our private lives, but at the same time we want to see the less educated among us protected from fraud. How many blatantly fraudulent claims can you make before someone in the government cracks down on you for a failure to deliver what you promise? Do you want the government to stick their nose into what you can or cannot sell, or do you want ignorant people to be the victims of fraud? It doesn't seem like we can manage to have both.

You know, you could probably make a million dollars by developing a cheap computer program that fooled your computer into displaying 50% more memory than you really have. Then sell it as a "Ram Doubler". Oh, wait - that's already been done. Never mind...

You should have seen some of the responses I got. Wait I will post one.

This is me:

You are being scammed this is a ripoff. NOS is pressurized at 900 psi, do you think a plastic fan can overcome 900 psi? Ripoff..

This is the person I sent the email to:

I dont have NOS. Id like for you to email me back and let me know anything about it (the plastic fan) i.e. how much boost is it making in psi not cfm.

I always thought split fire plugs were based on sound principle. I will never pay $5 for a plug, but still I don't see why a split fire plug wouldn't work.

By Gauss's law charge will accumulate at a pointed or sharp edge. Thus the spark is initiated at the edges of the electrode, not the center.

There are also people who theorize that spark plugs ignite the mixture because small portions of the plug exectrodes ionize (melt) and are carried along by the arc. Metal along the edge will heat up and melt more easily (since there is less cooling mass) than the center of the electrode.

Thus it would make sense that since split fire plugs put more sharp edges in the spark region they should (could? would?) have better spark characteristics.

Anyone know for sure?

I believe the concept behind the split fire was the V in the electrode gave the spark better access to the mixture, hence more power.

I ran them once, and I liked them, but now I run a dual electrode plug, which is easy to index.

The Iridium plugs are supposed to be worth a few HP, but I have not decided to pay that much for a plug until I know for sure they work.

Why are there so many people selling these "electric turbo's" on ebay, and an even better question is why are people buying them?

Everytime I see one that is not a hidden bidder auction, I send the person an email telling them it is a scam.

I want to know how a little plastic fan can help to evenly distribute NOS which is pressurized to 900 psi. :eek:

Dumb dumb dumb.

I've seen dyno tests with Splitfire plugs, and they do nothing. If you're replacing 30,000 mile old plugs with splitfires, you may well notice an immediate difference. But in back to back tests with brand new regular NKG's, there wasn't any difference in power produced.

About Gauss's law, I must admit that I'm completely ignorant of what happens with electrical fields, and I'm likely to remain ignorant for the forseeable future. When the rubber meets the road though, I can't see how it would make a difference. As long as there's a strong enough spark to ignite the fuel mixture(and regular plugs seem adequate to supply this in millions of cars) having a "better" strong spark won't make any difference.

If your engine is just barely managing to fire, whether due to poor compression or a weak coil or whatever, having a "better" plug might make a difference. But in an otherwise healthy engine, I have a hard time imagining that it will make any difference.

As "proof", I'll ask whether Lamborghini or Ferrari put Splitfires in their engines? They can afford to use whatever plugs are best, and they don't choose Splitfires. Surely if they were better, they would be used as the stock plugs in at least ONE car manufacturer's engine, but no maker chooses them. Hardly a scientific determination, but doesn't it make sense?

*later*

Oh, I found this on the web, too.

SplitFire Settles FTC Charges:

....The owners of SplitFire branded spark plugs have agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that "economy, efficiency and improved performance claims were false or unsubstantiated" ...An agreement with the FTC bars the company, splitFire inc. (Northbrook Il.), controlled by Old World Trading, "from making deceptive claims about fuel economy, emissions,horsepower, or cost savings...(and) will be barred from misrepresenting the results of tests, studies or research and from misrepresenting testimonials"...

the agency alleged that the company "did not possess and rely upon a reasonable basis to support the claims, that Split fire's claims that surveys confirm gas mileage increases were false; and that SplitFire did not have a reasonable basis to claim that (its) testimonials... reflect the typical or ordinary experience of customers..."

That looks like proof to me.

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

You should have seen some of the responses I got. Wait I will post one.

This is me:

You are being scammed this is a ripoff. NOS is pressurized at 900 psi, do you think a plastic fan can overcome 900 psi? Ripoff..

Yeah, they're being ripped off, but not in the way you imagine.

The hair dryer they're pushing as a blower doesn't have to overcome 900 psi of N2O pressure. The suction in the intake would pull the N20 into the combustion chamber whether or not the fan is present. Their pitiful excuse for an electric supercharger doesn't have to do anything but sit there and look sad.

Besides, virtually as soon as the N20 is expelled from the nozzles, it equalizes to the same pressure as the rest of the gases in the intake manifold anyway.

Just a nit I felt compelled to pick...