HybridZ

those with megasqurit and intercoolers

onephatz

I've just got my car running again with the stock turbo, an intercooler, and dsm 450's. I was doing some data logging on megatune and was wondering what someone else's intake temps were after a 1/4+ mile pull. mine stated out around 85 and ended up around 115 or so.

also, i'm having trouble getting a clear tach signal (jumps from 2000->13000 rpm) to my zetroinx wideband controller and my car tach has just decided to start freakin out on my not reading anything or just jumping around. is there a fix for this? I'm running a msd boost timing master for ignition. it has no tach output so I just hooked up off the neg. terminal of the coil.

75 280z

any thoughts?

jesse

Jesse' date='

I am not sure if you have the MSD 6BTM or not if so then you have a tach trigger on this unit. I have one myself and mine does have a tach trigger output. Here is a link to what I have : http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6462_add_frm23654.pdf

I hope this helps.

HB280ZT[/quote']

yea mine is just the btm not the 6. they wanted like $350 for a 6btm and I really want to spend that much. it has the boost timing master but no multi spark discharge. mine is like a 8764 or something like that.

jesse

Jesse,

You may need to look into an MSD Tach adapter 8910, here is a link that explains more about it. http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8910_tach_adapter.pdf

I had to put one on my setup to make the tach read correctly.

I hope this helps.

Also any info on how you set up your MS? MSnS? would be great I am thinking about putting one in my 77 280Z turbo. If you have pictures that would be great also. Thanks

HB280ZT

This wasn't 1/4 mile but I was doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls then let off, so similar. This was with the old saab IC. I haven't measured again since the NPR went on.

1st measurement:

No intercooler, just j-pipe

Ambient air = 55

Boost = 10psi (in manifold)

air temp under no boost (cruising) = 100-110

air temp under boost = 170-190

2nd measurement:

saab 9000 IC installed

Ambient air = 62 (got a little warmer before I could get back out)

Boost = 10psi (in manifold)

air temp under no boost (cruising) = 70-78

air temp under boost = 80-90

Jesse' date='

Also any info on how you set up your MS? MSnS? would be great I am thinking about putting one in my 77 280Z turbo. If you have pictures that would be great also. Thanks

HB280ZT[/quote']

I am in the process of putting up a web page with all the details and pictures. I'll give ya a little rundown of what I have and did.

75 280z

stock zxt motor (arp rod bolts)

p90 head

n-42 intake

280zxt throttle body

msd 8762 (boost timing master)

stock 280z distributor

megasquirt efi v. 2.2

1g dsm 450cc fuel injectors

stock fuel rail

two stock fuel pumps

poor man's front mount intercooler

1g dsm blow off valve

home made boost controller

moved the battery to the rear hatch.

nissan clt temp sensor

16" puller electric fan

It acctually went more smoothly than I had anticipated. I used a stock distributor to fire the msd which fires the coil. the tach and megasquirt are hooked up off the neg. post of a 12v zxt coil. at the moment the boost is retarded 2 degress for every pound of boost starting from zero lbs. for me the stock distributor mechanical advance gives about 15 degress of advacement around 1400 rpm. I run about 15-20 degress of static advancement. I was supposed to reflash the ecu with the new values for the coolant temp sensor but am lazy and didn't want to pull the computer out to make the nessasary mods to do so. since it uses that info for warm up enrichment I didn't really car what it said. it's close enoungh to the gm sensor that I didn't need to reflash the ecu to make it work. I used dsm 450's with modified plastic injector holder thingy's(that's the technical term). they had to be a little shorter to squeeze the injector into the lower o-ring. I then used on3go's idea of just pushing a hose over injector inlet(minus o-ring) and using the stock fuel rail. actually worked quite well. had to use 3/8" fuel line though. it will clamp down on the rail. I also used the resistor pack from a zxt (a z will work also) since the injectors are 2.5 ohms each. the intercooler is made from taking two dsm side mount intercoolers cutting off the end tanks and welding them together. not the most efficent but i'm not running 200 degrees either. oh and the greatest thing thus far the I found out about my car, it weights 2480 lbs(1240 front 1240 rear). course that's with no a/c and a gutted interior, but.... :).

all in all I'd say I am very pleased with how well it is working. I have to give mad props to Moby for posting his fuel and timing maps. almost perfect. I think if I were to do it again i'd proubly do a ms&s. can't wait for ultra megasquirt. this site has also been a tremendous help in getting good technical data. if anyone wants my fuel map or needs some help on setup send me a pm or just e-mail me at onephatz@hotmail.com

good luck

jesse

Guest Loose_Screws

I made a couple of logs as well at the 1/4 track. With 80F ambient, by the end of the 1/4 I saw 120F temps, running 13psi of boost. I also have a 18"x8"x3" w/ 2.5" inlet Spearco.

I have also noticed that under boost, the air must be extremely turbulent around the sensor as my temp gauge swings quickly and widely. Anyone else do this? At idle, it reads fine.

Guest Loose_Screws

The fluctuations I am seeing could be due to some refresh rate. When I look at the logs, the temps recorded are fairly steady.

• 3 weeks later...
I've just got my car running again with the stock turbo' date=' an intercooler, and dsm 450's. I was doing some data logging on megatune and was wondering what someone else's intake temps were after a 1/4+ mile pull. mine stated out around 85 and ended up around 115 or so.

also, i'm having trouble getting a clear tach signal (jumps from 2000->13000 rpm) to my zetroinx wideband controller and my car tach has just decided to start freakin out on my not reading anything or just jumping around. is there a fix for this? I'm running a msd boost timing master for ignition. it has no tach output so I just hooked up off the neg. terminal of the coil.

75 280z

any thoughts?

jesse[/quote']

about the tach jumping it sounds like you need an inline resister. i cant remember what value. look on zcar.com for a thread. or go on google and look for it. it should not be hard to find. lots of people have had that problem especially on the early zs.or you could also get an autometer gauge and be done with it =)