HybridZ

differential issues

Schlasken

i`m trying to decide what differential i should use with my project. i hear people say that r230 from z32 is a bad combo with the rb25det tranny, has anyone really tried this? how much work is needed to fit the z32 tranny behind a rb26dett to get the ratio`s right? and how much power will it take? is there any other differentials that i could use? what about the skyline gtr rear diff? is that a r200? any help or ideas is appreciated :)

Sigurd

The R33 and Z32 transmissions are the same as far as the gearing goes. It would take just as much work to put a GT-R diff in as the R230 and the 230 is considerably stronger. The 33 trans with a 3.6 final actually works very well. It's a little long in first gear, but if you're not running slicks, this is an advantage and will actually make the car quicker by helping to eliminate wheel spin in first...and second...and third...

R32 GTS-t is an R200, but I think the final drive is 4.36:1... Infiniti J30 is an R200 with a 3.92:1 final drive and VLSD. It's late so I'm kinda hazy on the question, were you looking for a taller (~3:1) or shorter final drive (~4:1) that is still a Nissan diff?

Sigurd, a note on what I posted above: I recently put a 3.69 final in a 700hp RB26 RWD car iwith R33 trans, instead of the common 4.1 and 4.3 because the 4.1 and 4.3 kept breaking. The car previously spun 275/50/15 Nitto 555R's through third gear. The car now spins in first, but the acceleration is phenomenal. Second gear is almost completely hooked up. The lower numerical gear will also tolerate more power before breaking as less torque is transmitted to the ring gear by the pinion gear. You should never have a problem with the R230 from the Z32.

Guest JAMIE T

Matt, that's good to hear. I felt that would be the case since it allows the engine to stay in boost longer and less time between gears. Everyone was telling me a month ago that it wasn't enough gear.

i`m trying to decide what differential i should use with my project. i hear people say that r230 from z32 is a bad combo with the rb25det tranny' date=' has anyone really tried this? how much work is needed to fit the z32 tranny behind a rb26dett to get the ratio`s right? and how much power will it take? is there any other differentials that i could use? what about the skyline gtr rear diff? is that a r200? any help or ideas is appreciated :)

Sigurd[/quote']

I am planning to use the R32 GTR diff (R200 short nose) in my car, and yes just as much work at fitting R230, my car will be mainly used for circuit racing, so the lighter weight of the R200 is one main reason i have chosen it over the R230, along with a better ratio (for my use) and because its a clutch type LSD rater than the R230's viscous. However i do like the robustness of the R230!!

The GT-R diff is substantially stronger that the normal R200. Stub shafts are larger as well as the ring gear bolts. There are a few companies in Japan making multi-plate clutch differentials for the R230, but they run about $1800!!

Guest JAMIE T

The VLSD's are fine as long as you don't over-heat them. Continueous spinning(as in drifting )will cause the diff to over heat and not lock the diff properly. You'll end up spinning one wheel, but after it cools back down, it will work again. I'm going to put a diff cooler on mine. I plan on sliding. A drag racing pass won't be enough to over heat the diff. Even if you get alot of runs in.

Matt, am I to take it that the R200 in the GT-R is like the ones in the Q45's. They have the big 6 bolt axle flanges like the R230's? Are the GT-R diffs not VLSD's?

The VLSD's are fine as long as you don't over-heat them. Continueous spinning(as in drifting )will cause the diff to over heat and not lock the diff properly. You'll end up spinning one wheel' date=' but after it cools back down, it will work again. I'm going to put a diff cooler on mine. I plan on sliding. A drag racing pass won't be enough to over heat the diff. Even if you get alot of runs in.

Matt, am I to take it that the R200 in the GT-R is like the ones in the Q45's. They have the big 6 bolt axle flanges like the R230's? Are the GT-R diffs not VLSD's?[/quote']

Jamie, the R32 GTR has a clutch type LSD.

Matt, I am happy to here what you say in regard to the GTR R200 being a stronger unit. :-)