HybridZ

Transmission Gearing

Nismo280zEd

I did a couple searches and came up with alot of info on rear end gears but I'm inquiring about Tranny gears. I'm sure with a few quick searches on the web I can find the stock 280z 5spd gear ratios, I was wondering has anybody changed out the 5th gear or overdrive on the 5psd. I like the current ratios of 1-3. 4th is ok but I want a taller 5th for cruising at higher speed or lower rpms. If i change out the rear end it'll mess up the gearing on 1-5th and I'm a huge fan of 3 gear in my car so that's not an option. Plus I like my stout rearend. I'm going to go to a tranny place that does racing to see if it's possible to get a slightly taller 5th gear put in.

Has anybody done this before?

-Ed

Larry.. you always have what I need.. thanx. I wonder if you can take the 5th gear outta the ZX 5 speed and stick it in the Z 5spd box. That might accomplish what i'm lookn' for I'd have to calculate out the rpm to see what speed i'd be cruising at with that ratio.

-Ed

I directly bolted in a L20 B 4 speed out of a 620 Pick-up into a 1977 Z originally equipped with a 5 speed that a few gears were shot.... I contend that all the the transmissions originally equipped with the L20 B (2000cc) engines are just as strong and the same as Z transmission cases but with slightly different gear ratios. The pickup 4 speed would make the Z (with a weak motor) front end come up surprisingly high in first and second gear and screech the tires in the first two gears. 4th gear was obviously 1.00 but first gear was in the neighborhood of 3.6 2nd gear :2.1 and 3rd: 1.4 ( my estimate) and I assume if you want tall 5th gears for cruising the 81-83 Z's or turbo fifth gear would make a good choice . I would assume that the 620 pick-up from 1977 ...4th and fifth gears would be similar or close to 77,78,78 ,79 non turbo z's and the various gears should interchange in the identical transmission cases...my opinion.

Looks like if I took the gear from the 81-83 factory 5spd I'd be turning about 300-400 rpm lower than the same speed in 5th on my current five.

Here comes trouble...

I'll have to look up the ratio's on the 620 gear box.. I'd like a slightly taller 5th gear still.

-Ed

You could take the 82-83 ZX 5-speed and put the Maxima diesel first gear in it which is a 3.36 first ratio. It goes right in. really livens up first gear, and you have the good fifth ratio for the freeway.

Aaron

the stock 77 z 5spd has a big gap between 2nd & 3rd-you dont notice this unless you get it on a race track.i use a 82 na trans in my 77 with a 3.7 rear.all ratios work better.i dont have a chart handy though.the synchro assemblys are different in early (77) and late (80 up )trans.if you have a 3.7 or 3.9 rear just get a 82 or 83 trans.better 5th and closer ratios.i think the ratios for 77 trans are from a truck.