HybridZ

Drum hardware?

Where can I get new hardware for rear drums? I'm talking new hold down springs, retaining springs, and what not. I'm going to (well, probably going to) be purchasing an early Z car in the up coming weeks, and want to start putting together a list of websites where I can find parts. I've gotten many sites, but I can't seem to find one that has hardware for the drums. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm not positive on the year of the car because I havn't been able to talk to the dealership that's selling it. But, I've looked at it quite a few times. Also, I've done a bit of research, and I believe it's a 70, or early 71. It's got the 20-160mph speedo, 140lbs oil guage, fresh air vents on the hatch, and indents on the steering wheel.

Welcome.... Most members here are into changing out the rear drums for disc brakes.......and not rebuilding the drum system.... my advice is since I have never bought any new drum accessories since I pull that kind of hardware off parts cars.(and usually when I lose the parts not wear them out).... is for you to get acquainted with junk yards for a lot of your needs because the occupation with old Z cars can become expensive for a drum brake Z car that was last produced in 1978. Always leave one brake drum intact or only work on one side so you can figure out where that one piece should go when you think you are finished with that side..

Well first off welcome. Second there are a few things to know about the site. 1st thing is the search feature. There will be many a question answered by searching. I know it helps me a lot. That said, the Z for me is the best car in the world. Well not really but I love it. So congrats on the future purchase.

For parts new. Try http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc that is the website for Motorsport Auto. Also get a catalogue from Victoria British. They have a ton of stuff too for the early Z car.

Used parts. Ebay is a good place. Also the Z barn which is http://www.zbarn.com/

They have a bunch of used stuff. Also try http://www.zparts.com

With this info and the info on this site you should be on your way to having fun with the car. Good luck,

Kyle

Oh and I rebuilt my rear brakes and it was pretty easy. I didn't need the springs etc replaced but had them just in case and bought them from Victoria British. Some day I will put disks on the back. But for now the drums are fine.

Thanks for the sites. I've looked at the option of rear discs, but it's kind of expensive, and I'm kind of old fashioned, so I like to stick with original style parts in most areas. Although I could probably get better braking, actually I know I could get better braking, from a disc upgrade, I don't feel I would really need it. I don't have plans to race the car, also when I drive I'm very catious and I always leave a large gap between myself and the car ahead, so hard braking isn't needed. I figured I'd probably just rebuild the drums with stock parts and some performance shoes, and maybe use some Brembo drums.

Does anyone have a picture of the rear drums (with the drum removed, obviously)? I've done GM, Ford, Chrysler, and Toyota drum brakes before, but never Datsun.

for the trouble it will save you. Get a factory service manual for the car. Courtesy Nissan of texas has them on cd. They are a bit pricy but well worth it. Just make sure you make a back up cd. They can be found in book form too but are old.

Z drums are the easiest drums to service I have ever seen. A pair of pliers is about all you need to put them back together and take them apart. Getting the drum off is sometimes hard though.

Z drums are the easiest drums to service I have ever seen. A pair of pliers is about all you need to put them back together and take them apart. Getting the drum off is sometimes hard though.

I just finished this process on mine and getting the drums off WILL BE the hardest part. They're aluminum and chemically weld themsleves to the hub over time. Actually it's not chemically but it's because of the dissimilar metals generating a small electric current that transfers molecules between them.

Once the drums are off the system is pretty much like every other drum system. A pair of pliers is about all you'll need but be sure to check the brake cylinders. Mine were totally corroded and wouldn't budge so I had to pull them off and rebuild them. If you have to do that get the stainless braided flex lines to replace the rubber ones. They're a little spendy but worth every penny. Be sure to hone out the brake cylinders also, 35 years of water in the brake fluid has undoubtedly pitted the cylinder walls.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Wheelman

I just finished this process on mine and getting the drums off WILL BE the hardest part. They're aluminum and chemically weld themsleves to the hub over time. Actually it's not chemically but it's because of the dissimilar metals generating a small electric current that transfers molecules between them. ...

Yeah, that sucks. I always put a little anti-seise on the parts to keep that from happening.

Thanks for the info folks. I'm liking this place. Alot of knowledge.

Thanks again!