HybridZ

Frustrating news!!!!

wheelman

My 73 had retractable shoulder belts before I switched to the 5 points; you probably just need the belts.

5 points really aren't a good idea for street use. They're enough trouble you will get out of the habit of wearing them, and in a roll over situation may be more dangerous than the stock belts because they won't let you drop down if the top collapses, and unless you have a bolt in roll bar there's not a good place to attach the 5 points.

John

I am trying to remember if it originally had the sholder belts. I know for absolutely certain there is a mounting point above and behind the rear quarter window because that is where I bolted the seat belt retractor mechanism. Big fat solid bolt hole too.

Been a lot of years since I did the upgrade.

To get back on topic, insurance companies do charge more if you haven't had insurance for awhile. But they also charge more if you are new to an area (like LA) anyway or are getting a policy for your own car (not your parents). so in that sense a rate increase for you son is inevitiable.

Once he is out of your house he doesn't have to be on your policy anymore. In fact, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep him on your policy once he no longer lives with you. The insurance policy goes with the car, not the driver. If he lives at home they want you to pay more because they figure he will be driving. But if he is not living there there is no reason to pay extra.

If he gets his own car he will have to get a separate policy anyway (they generally don't like you living in one state and being insured in another). When he comes home on leave you can let him drive any car you own and he will be covered. Just like loaning your car to a neighbor or a relative.

Guess I would wait until he goes into the service then insure the Z without him on the policy. Sucks maybe but could be an expensive ride otherwise.

Been messing with early Zs for 23 years. All years came with shoulder harness installed. Fixed belt in 70-72 hard to adjust and constantly falling out of the hole in the lap belt (its supposed to be removable but it removes itself far to often and is a pain to constantly re-attach). Little retractors that mounted on side roof panel above quarter windows for 73 and early 74. late 74 and on big retactors mounted on strut tower tops. The 74-78 set ups work the best but are somewhat difficult to mount on an earlier car as they don't have the mounting "flange" built into the tower.

they are very anal about the insurance laws as well

Wheelman

As well they should be!

Dont want someone without insurance plowing into me anytime soon :(

By the way pop n wood is right. When your son is no longer in the house there is no reason to carry him on the policy. Get yourself some insurance and a good seatbelt for that beast and drive safely.

Georgia_Flash_78V8,

I agree about the "being anal" comment, I've been hit by drivers with no insurance to many times and understand very intimately the consequences. It really was my frustration with this situation speaking.

Technicalninja,

You're right that the 73 originally had shoulder belts. I checked for mounting holes last night and they are there and look like they had bolts in them at some point but the shoulder belts are long gone.

I have a line on a set from Aux if he can find them, otherwise I'll have to source them from somewhere else. Anybody else have a spare set original belts from a 1973 240?

Wheelman

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

You Should Be Able To Get The Z Covered Under A Classic/collector/modified Insurance Policy From A Different Company As This Would Not Be Considered A Daily Driiver And Allow You Better Coverage Of The Vehicle. Most Insurance Companies Won't Insure You If You Already Have Insurance From Another Company On Other Vehicles Unless Its For A Classic Or Collector Car.

Guest iskone

I've done the defferal thing here in Wa. Stupid decision. I don't know what I was thinking, I got another ticket a few months later.

I only have lap belts in my 72 and haven't been pulled over yet and my car is loud as hell. I drove the car all the way from the Tri cities to my home in Bremerton without a problem.

No Ins. tickets are $500 but if you get insurance by the court date it will be lowered to about $200 depending on who gave you the ticket. If you are ticketed by a state trooper it will ALWAYS cost more than if it was a sheriff or a police officer no matter what the violation. I am very experinced in these matters :-D

My insurance is $2111 for 6 months 72 240z full coverage 24yo home owner and it just went down from 9 points to 5

Isk