HybridZ

Mobythevan is the freakn man!!! WHoo hooo!!

proxlamus©

Just wanted to let everyone know what a great guy Mobythevan (Bryan) is..

He took his entire sunday to help me out to install MegaSquirt N Spark with the extra code!! Bryan was such a great help and I never could of done any of this without him!!

I would like to thank him, and his friend Mike as well for helping out with the install!!

Bryan not only let me use his garage and tools for the day, but even sacrificed parts from his own Z to swap over to my car!!

Thank you sooo much Bryan!!

My mods now..

Stock N/A N47 block and head

T3 watercooled turbo from a 300ZX turbo

MegaSquirt and Spark extra ;)

Pallnet fuel rail

3" stainless steel downpipe

Large NPR intercooler

60mm TB

440cc injectors

2.5" intercooler piping

DSM BOV

Converted over dizzy to an optical 82 280ZX turbo dizzy

Ford Taurus electric fan (in front of radiator, behind intercooler)

When Ryan told me he wanted to install megasquirt in one day I knew it would be interesting. We got scared doing the swap from NA dizzy to 82 type turbo dizzy when it didn't fit up top. Then realized you have to pull the aluminum spacer. With just a 15 minute test run on the setup, he drove it back home about 70 miles at 11PM. It was a good test of megasquirt and I'm glad his car is running better finally.

Still need to do some tuning with wideband and get his cooling fan controlled be megasquirt, but he came a long way in one day.

yeh basically you will need an 1982-1983 280ZX turbo dizzy...

it has the CAS built inside the dizzy... =)

So you need to get the dizzy.. and the oil pump/dizzy shaft from the 280ZX turbo dizzy.. because the stock N/A will not fit...

You need to remove the N/A dizzy.. and the lower dizzy housing.. then unbolt the oil pump and drop it down. I needed to drop the fron sway bar to pull the oil pump down all the way....

then pull out the N/A oil shaft.. and put in the new turbo shaft... and bolt the oil pump back on.. and swaybar back on...

go back up to the dizzy and bolt her up..

Some of the details:

Had to weld a bung into the intake pipe right before the TB for intake air temp sensor. Would like to put this in the intake manifold but it would have ment pulling the intake and we didn't have time.

Add extra fittings at the thermostat housing to install the GM coolant temp sensor. I use the CHTS on my 83 turbo engine, but since Ryan's is NA he didn't have that.

Broke out the fuel pump wire and injector power wire at the relay center by the battery and connected them to the MS relay board so that MS relays now take the place of the factory fuel injector relay and fuel pump relay.

Pulled battery power for MS from same area.

Pulled ignition switched power for MS from B/W wire that runs all over the datsun cars.

MS ground to intake manifold.

His 240sx TPS ended up being bad, so swapped mine in.

Wired up 4 pin GM HEI module like my install guide shows. Used his NA coil for now because I didn't know the pinout of the 300zx coil he had.

Wired the injectors straight from the old ECU connector.

His car [78] already has dropping resistors installed.

Ryan already had the Supra injector connectors installed.

Run vacuum line for MAP sensor in from the intake.

It literally took like 5 minutes to time the distributor because we got a little lucky and that was it. Fired up on the first try.

Ended up leaving the original two wires connected to the coil. One was B/W on +, the other was Blue on the - side and the blue one keeps the stock tach working Also kept the condenser for filtering off noise and connected the black wire side back to the base of the dizzy.

Of course we removed the AFM and ECU.

It was tough to do in one day, no one should expect it to go that quick. We prepared fairly well for it and still had at least 5 things come up that were unexpected because I didn't see the car until the day of the install and Ryan didn't know exactly what to expect.

It is awesome that the car is finally running good and I stil can't believe he left and drove home in the dark after having everything apart.

We still need to tune his car with the wideband and hook up another relay so MSnS will control his cooling fan operation. And now he has 440cc injetors so plenty of overhead for NOS, water injection, etc, heh heh

• 1 month later...

Installing MS'n'S_Extra on my car seemed like it took forever, had to wait on resistors (backordered...damnit) did a little bit everyday, re-reading install guide and seemed like every post on msefi.com... took about 5 days..lol

One week later I did my brothers 280Z with the 82ET in it, started at 10pm worked till 2 am, came back at 10am and had the car going by 9pm. I'd say 90% of the work I did myself (my brother installed the fuel rail injectors, and a little wiring) so in 15 hours it was all done, then a few the next to put back stuff, wire loom ect..