HybridZ

need your IRS knowledge..please

Hey everyone,

I think I've made up my mind on upgrading my rear end, I know it's probably in the wrong thread but I still plan on doing that LS1 and thought I could get a little help from someone with a v8 and modified rear end. I've been doing a lot of searching and reading about the ford 9" and the corvette irs, the problem is I can't seem to get the 9" anywhere under 2k for a compplete narrowed unit. so this is basically a cost driven decision to just go with the c4 corvette dana 44 rear end. plus it just looks cool! anyway I know I will have to narrow it even if I flare out the car, so here are my questions.. after I get the flares, whould I buy the wheels first then determine the amount to narrow it? or should I narrow it and find wheels with the correct offset/bs later? I was trying to figure out if I could just use it without having to narrow it but I want to run like some 315 R17's on nice dished wheel maybe 4" lip would be nice on a 10" to 12" wide rim. I don't think I'll be heading to the track, I want a street car and occasional street drag ( in a controlled environment of course...lol) any help would be nice.

Scottie GNZ did the infamous corvette rear swap into a Z. Do a search and you will get all the detailed expert advice you need. If the thought of spending $2k scared you then stop now. Can't imagine the corvette rear will be any cheaper.

You may want to ask yourself why you feel the need to go either ford 9" or corvette rear. An R200 should be more than sufficient for even a modified LS1.

Knowing a little more about your intended setup, use and performance goals will help in understanding what might be right for you. $2K for a narrowed Ford 9" is only a part of the cost as you need fabrication to get the unit installed. The cost of the C4 IRS will depend on how much you pay for one, how much fabrication you can do yourself, cost of welding, etc.

Click on the link below the pic in my sig to get access to my old, outdated webpage. It has the link to the C4 IRS swap. The R200/R230 mod has come a long way, primarily due this forum and should always be the first option for a hi-po Z car unless you plan on crazy HP with slicks or need a 3.0:1 ratio like I do.

actually I don't think 2k is all that bad but I think with the dana 44 ($1000) and doing most of the work myself I can do it for just over 2k installed,plus it already comes with rear disc brakes too boot, at least thats what I think I can do it for. as far as the gear ratio goes, I did a little research and gear sets are freaking cheap for the 44, plus like I said I really would like a nice wide tire and rim combo, for performance and bad azz looks. I've only been to a drag strip once and though it was fun I can't see myself beating up the car at the strip every weekend, I want road grip, handling, but yet be able to smoke some teenagers' hondas on the street. I thought about the

the r200 and q45 but it wont help me get any wider tires and wheels on the car, also parts and all would be over 1 k easy, and it gets old going junk yard hunting. as far as power goes I think stock ls1 to maybe 100 more hp plus a shot of nitrous would be about all I think I'll be doing so the 9" I think is way overkill, the four link suspensions I saw all seem to have links that are too long, chassis engineering said they do not recommend links smaller than 20" that would place the brackets up my spine, not too comfortable...lol.

question for Scottie, how does your setup handle on the street? was it difficult to properly align the rear end and how did you figure out the bracket location and angle for the dog bone links? I have the c4 service manuals, maybe I'll see if there is anything usefull in there. Thanks

update: I just went over the c4 service manual and nope, there isnothing referencing the bracket angle or any measurement I could probably be able to use to locate the rear end (ride height) I know that If I get adjustable coilovers this could be ajusted but shouldn't I set the the wheels hubs/knucke at a certain point for optimum placement?

I did the r200 LSD 3.70 swap with 300ZXT CV axles, Ross's billet adapters and 280 stubs. Also did the disc brake swap as well. Total cost was 600 bucks for the rear set up. Brakes cost another 300. I run 11.30-11.50 at 120 mph.

Mike