HybridZ

Does anyone think this is a good idea??

AK-Z

Well I have a 280z and was wanting to do a engine swap. But do to my $$$ shortage I have to deal with my L28. In the mean time I was thinking, should I take out the EFI and carb it. I know the 240z were 13 sec cars with just a new exhaust and new carbs with oil cooler, but mine is a 280z so I know it weighs a little more. And then doing a dual turbo setup or a sequecial supercharger/ turbo setup eek.gif ? I know pumbing the s/c turbo setup would be a pain. I'm trying to setup the car for autox and I know the s/c would help a lot at the low end and I know what could go wrong with this setup.

So I would pumb the s/c idea by:

filter->turbo->intercooler->carbs->s/c

I already have a cummins varibale geometry turbo off a deisel and a eaton s/c off a kompressor and have all been rebuilt. I am good with a welder (arc, mig, tig) and my dad works for th eelectric company (vehicle maintainance) so getting the metal and fabbing up everything wouldn't be a problem.

The carbed force induction is because of the manga Wangan Midnight and it would be easier to figure out if anything went wrong (although tedious).

I posted this to get your opinion on this. So feel free to answer however you like but constructive crisisism is what would help me the most.

Then how do I route the pumbiing? do I put the intercooler before the AFM or after, on the EFI system? I now I need to get a boost controller and other things. How much boost can a the 280z l28 take? I might have 2 L28s so if I screw up on one I have the other one, just in case.:D

doesnt sound like a good idea to me, i dont see how you having money problems would lead you to spend money on carbs, for little to no difference in performance. the money you would spend on a nice carb setup would easily put you on your way to a nice megasquirt setup.

now a nice turbo setup would be well worth your money. depending on how much work you put into the engine, ie.: forged pistons, o-ringed cylinders, correct head work and cam. boost levels can get pretty high. but on a low budget, lower boost levels are much safer.

not sure a desiel turbo would work on a gasoline engine. im sure the engine would struggle to spool it up.

Guest iskone

Sounds hard to pull off on the cheap don't let it stop you though. Is the s/c you got a centerfugical or roots type? I know of some cars that run twin turbos and have 2 different sizes? What are the specs on the turbo? If it's huge it will take forever to spool.

Hmm. If the sc was running more boost and basically causing a vacum on the turbo would make the turbo spin faster and pull more exhaust out? Basically pulling a charge through on the exhaust and pushing on the intake. Typing out loud here.

Isk

4everdatsun you are forgetting that the reason why you can get high performance by using carbs than the EFI system is the cursed EGR (emmissions gas recirculation) valve and the rest of the emmissions crap. It would be easier to pass emmissions with going carb, than going megasquirts. I'll be surprised if you can get by emmisions if you took off all the emmissions crap on there w/o paying somebody at the testing facility.

the s/c is a screw type (short nose traditional type, not like the newer ones that look lik modified turbos). Iskone its kinda hard to explain but it a variable geometry type turbo. You might want to google it because I think I would just confuse you and myself in the process. The best to simplify it is; suppose you have a hose with only enought water coming out and then you put your thumb over the end , because of the pressure build up, it will have to come out of a smaller opening at a greater speed with about the same amount of water. The v/g valve thing is the supposed thumb that helps the turbo spool up faster and its adjustable (variable).

The turbo came out of a 2002 dodge 2500.

Guest iskone
who cares about emmisions' date=' i drive a 31 year old car. emmisions dont mean anything to me here in the great state of CT.

Plus its a sports car.... POWER first.....emmisions last.[/quote']

Well said!!!

But not all guys have the cars gods with them in the fight against the man.

My only problem with emissions is the way the exuast burns my eyes with the window rolled down. But at least I know when she is running rich!!

Isk

There are 3 legal ways around emmissions in AK. One is to do an engine swap. Another is to go carb. The last is to get a summertime onlt pass (good for 2 years)

If I do an engine swap from a car thats a 96 or newer I can register it as a kitcar and emmissions don't apply on kitcars.

Summertime only pass is what it sounds like. From I think April to I think october or novermber.