HybridZ

Hood Latch Success without JTR for the SBC

I really didn't like the idea of having to dismount the hood latch every time I had to change the rotor cap, and I didn't want HEI because of the Tach issue with the 240z, but I saw this picture of a silver Z that had the stock hood latch with an SBC (I can email pictures PM me.)

I took the latch (with the safety hook stock) and moved it over one hole (i.e. I removed it, drilled a 1/2" hole for the spring shaft and added another screw hole using a 1/4-20 nutsert and VERY careful drilling) Then I took off the hood catch (the thingy that is mounted to the firewall) and moved the catch over as far as it would go by slotting the two mounting holes and the wire release mounting hole (to keep the latch from being held slightly open). Then re attached it with 4 bolts and 4 1/4-20 nutserts in the firewall so it's removable without having to take the wipers off and that panel next to the windshield which scratched my paint. :icon8: But I don't have to remove it cause it's about 1/2" from the distributor. I'll probably cut some more of it off to make sure it clears the sway space of the engine. I have poly mounts so I don't expect the engine to flex that much.

I can email pictures of the setup if you PM me with an email address. It's freaking great, doesn't require donor parts from a 280 and moved the latch and catch effectively 3.3" closer to the driver side. Totally clears the standard distributor (you might have to move it a little more for HEI.) and I can take it off without any trouble. The hood closes exactly how it did before with all stock parts.

BTW anyone want some JTR hood latch brackets? Untouched. :D