HybridZ

How can I fix broken rivet holes on interior plastic pieces?

Guest THE73Z

Guest THE73Z

I just bought a 240Z that needs most of the interior reinstalled. One plastic interior piece has two rivet holes partially broken out, ie corner missing.

For cracks I usually use narrow strips of cloth tape on the back and then paint epoxy over that. But in this case, the plastic is actually missing.

Anyone have a good solution for repairing these rivet holes? Btw, the interior is brown, but I do have some "butterscotch" paint.

Thanks, Z

Guest THE73Z
the only stress points are the fastener locations.

Yeah, this is where I'm having the problems. But I'll try your suggestion. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Z

I had great success in repairing several interior plastic parts with ABS cement. It is the black stuff that you glue the black drain pipes with, after all isn't the interior plastic ABS? For holes and large cracks, duct tape the finished side and glue from the back side. Be sure to clean everything real good before you start. The hard part is waiting for at least 36 hours before you test the repair. For the holes you are talking about, just fill them in and drill them back out when the glue dries.

Good luck,

Bill

Guest THE73Z
A good wife lets you have all the toys you want!

I tried to convince my gf that I get to keep whatever I have when I get married (such as a V8 Z) but she was not easily swayed - guess I'd better keep looking...

I like your idea about the abs cement. So it doesn't stick to the duct tape? Maybe a little vaseline could fix that. 36 hrs? - I actually have a great deal of patience.

Thank you both for your insight, Z

No problem with sticking to the duct tape. I have also used the duct tape to cover the bottom of a rusted floor after sand blasting then fiber glassing the inside floor. When you take off the duct tape the bottom of the floor looks great, add a little spray undercoat and you can't tell anything was ever done to the floor.

Bill