HybridZ

Crushed Roller Lifter

Well, last night I took my friend out for a spin for the first time. After I got on it the exhaust sounded like it had a bad leak and when I popped the hood I heard a ticking so since I've had my rocker arms actually come off (I guess from not correctly tightening them) I listened to which side the noise was coming from and pulled the passenger valve cover. Suprisingly my retaining nut was still tight but my rocker arm was very loose. After I tried to tighten it by hand I noticed that the rocker arm was bottoming out on the stud. So my only conclusion is that I must have crushed the lifter. Has anyone ever done this before? I am running stock lifters with a .500-.510 lift cam. If I replace it should I replace all of them since the others could be likely to do the same or could this be considered a freak thing? Thanks for any help.

I don't see how you could possibly crush a lifter. I would expect you have a bent pushrod or possibly a pulled rocker stud if you dont have screw in studs. If it is a roller cam, the lifter may have turned in the bore, and wiped out the cam lobe.

I took the guide plate off earlier today; the pushrod, rocker arm, and lifter (what I can see of it through the hole in the head anyway) seem to all be ok. I was planning on pulling the intake tomorrow and seeing what exactly is going on. Like I say, the lifter still seems to be aligned in the retainer, it doesn't look like it's gone down, turned sidways or messed anything up so I'll keep you all updated.

So from what you say you think the stock roller lifters should be fine? I haven't done any research on them, but I definitely will now that I'm going to have to take everything off and possibly replace them.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I would think the factory rollers would work, But you should check with someone more familiar with later engines.

One other possibility is that you bent a valve. This would cause the valve to stick in an open position with excessive valve lash being one of the symptoms.

Compare the height of the retainer to its neighbor when they both should be in a closed position. they should be very close in installed height.

John D.

Well I've got good news and bad news. The good news is one of my roller lifters did not have the spring in the hydraulic part and I simply went and bought a new lifter at the parts store for $11. The bad news is I'm the idiot who left the spring out because when I got the lifters, I disassembled all of them and cleaned the old oil and whatever else was in them out :sigh: Anyway, thanks for the input guys.