HybridZ

Couple miscelanious questions/concerns (with pics)

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Alright so I finally got started working on my car after having it for a couple months. So far I've sanded most of the surface rust off, but I have a couple questions, well at least for now.

My first concern is whether or not the floorpans are too rusty. They look pretty rusty from the bottom and although they seem pretty solid there's some small holes by the seat rails on each side. What should be the tell tale sign that I should replace them or what should I do to repair the holes?

Here's a pic of one of the holes. They're all pretty similar.

000_0186.JPG

and here's the underneath

000_0190.JPG

My second question is about the rear decklid. After ripping up the crappy fiberglass job that was on there it literally looks like somebody took a punch to it and beat the crap out of it or something. Should I just try to bondo it over and beat it back in to place or do you think that I should just search for a new one? Probably hard to see the waviness from pics, but there's a good amount.

Here's the rear

000_0199.JPG

close up of a side

000_0201.JPG

Last but not least the rear floor was apparently cut out of the car and replaced with an aluminum one. Should I be worried about this? Would this damage the structural integrity of the car at all?

Looks like this

000_0193.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help I want to get this thing put back together and somewhat road worthy.

The first floor pic I'd say just weld it up. Then I looked at the second one and I don't know what to say. Looks scary!

Throw the hatch away and get a new (junk yard) one.

As far as the rear floor being cut out you need to remove the aluminum panel and look at the rear frame rails. As long as they are intact you're fine. Even if they're cut up if you can weld them back together or rebrace the floor you should still be fine.

I remember cars that looked like that, one hell of a lot of work! Living in AZ for the last nine years, I have had several totally rust free cars. 59 Thunderbird, sat for thirty years, 77 280Z, now titled as a 1962 ferrari GTO coupe. 1947 Ford pickup and a 75 Mercedes 450 SL. All of these cars would be rust buckets if they were in the North East. Too bad the shipping would cost $500.00 for a rust free car.

Bill

i would definately get a new hatch. they arent expensive at a junk yard and plus, a patch job on it with bondo would "get the job done" but would just add unnecessary weight to it...

as far as the floors, as long as the frame rails are straight and solid, you are ok. POR15 has a floor repair kit that is pretty cheap and strenghtens up the floor pretty good if cutting/welding is too much $$$ or work. its been recommended by Hot Rod magazine but I can't say I or anyone I know has had any personal experience with it.