HybridZ

Speed sensor bung removable?

violacleff

Ok I'm on day 6 of my transmission swap and as I went to screw in the speed sensor, I noticed that the thingy you screw it onto was missing. I mean its just a hole that was plugged up with this plastic/rubber plug. BTW I bought this tranny from rising sun engines. I tried unscrewing the piece off my old tranny with a vise grip, but it does not seem removable. If it is, how do I get it off? If it isn't, my speedo doesn't work anyway, however I wanted to know if that plug in there will be sufficient, or will the heat from the oil melt it? Is there oil pressure in the tranny that would pop it out?

Are you swapping from a manual to an auto or vise versa? There is no pressure in a manual tranny. It depends where that plug is in a auto tranny if it has pressure or not. If its just speedo sensor hole then it shouldnt have pressure on it. Now having said that, unless you have a plug that screws in and has a seal on it...its going to leak no matter what tranny you have. Automatic tranny fluid is more likely to leak that the gear oil in a manual tranny but both will leak unless that plug is a screw in type.

Guy