HybridZ

Ground clearance issues

Guest zerpie1

Guest zerpie1

I have a 74 260z with a SBC conversion. My problem is that my ground clearance is only 5 inches to the fram rails and about 2 1/2 inches from the exhaust. I've heard stories of people putting new struts and springs on their Z's thinking they will get a little drop and wind up getting extra lift over their old tired springs. So I guess my question is how much clearance should I have with stock suspension and would some performance suspension give me some extra clearance?

The only way to get the ground clearance you want, is by going with adjustable coilovers. Don't skimp by getting some aftermarket springs that may or may not work for you. You may also want to consider making changes to your exhaust at some point; having your exhaust 2.5" below your frame rails is less than ideal. I would suggest getting adjustable's and increasing your ride height until you can do something with your exhaust.