HybridZ

RX7 power steering rack for a Z?

anyone interested in making this conversion?

I've got a power steering rack out of an 89 rx7 gtus that I have no use for, since I don't have any weight over front wheels anyway. I took comparison shots of it next to the stock Z steering rack if someone wants to venture out and make the swap. I'll let it go pretty cheap too

PICT0142.sized.jpg

PICT0143.sized.jpg

PICT0144.sized.jpg

I'm interested. Is it still good? how much do you want for it? How hard is it to put in? Will I have to weld it on to the cross member like the mustang adaption that I've seen before? I don't want to end up welding anything together because of maintainence purposes.

to answer your questions:

how much? They go for about 100 bucks on rx7club, so... let's say 60 + shipping.

Condition? My friend gave it to me when he converted his GTUs to a manual steering rack (for weight and racing), and he said it worked just fine.

How hard is it to put in? I've no idea, since I'm not going to be using it. I got it because I was originally going to do an LT1, and wanted the ease of power steering. Now I don't need it, since I have no weight over the front wheels. Much like the rest of the stuff on this board, it's a one-off swap dealie.

On the upside, if someone wants to make the swap, lot of guys on rotary boards ditch PS for manual racks.

Well the reason I'm asking is because I got another 280z that needs some work. I drove it home and it drives like a cow. I've read some other threads and they say just to do maintainance and change out the bushings. Come to think of it, I really wouldn't be able to utilize the steering rack untill I do a zxt swap (no mount for PS pump on 280z). I've read of other people on the board doing a rack swap with a WRX. how difficult would that be and is there a website? Is the conversion really worth it?

It all depends on the feedback from others.

PICT0168.sized.jpg

Like I said, it depends on what your setup is. This is my setup, so you can see why I don't need a PS rack.

If you have tires wider than 205 with the l28 and stock rack, it's going to be a pain in the butt to turn, I'm talking from experience of turning my 225 tires w/ stock rack and a smaller diameter steering wheel. but feedback's better when moving