HybridZ

looking for advice or anything from you guys.

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

Okay guys looking for wisdom or help or whatever.

Okay im getting my blue Z all done, well pretty much atleast.

Me and Ed on this site getting done with the paint and body work, along with other things.

the fuel cell will be done, the interior done, suspension done, fuel lines done, etc etc.

BUT....

My engine got messed up at the machine shop.

they drilled some head bolts out and helicoiled them but did it wrong, now my head studs are slanted and my head wont fit on, it wont seal good, etc etc.

they told me pretty much to go F off and its not there problem.

so im taking them to court.

thing is i need this car done, i dunno what to do.

im not sure if ill get anything out of this ordeal so i could be stuck with the mess/bill.

pretty much everything in this block is new, so i want to keep that.

DOES ANYBODY!! know where i can find a F54 turbo block cheap in texas?

it needs to be standard size everything, i know ill have to hone it but thats all i want and can afford to do.

im really stuck on this.

i paided this machine shop 1300 bucks and it seems like i got NOTHING for it, just problems.

could i just use a reg 280Z or ZX block? would i need to do anything to make that work?

if anybody can help me out and point me in the right place it would mean alot to me.

i need to get this car driveable so i can tune it and be done with it.

Thanks!!

Mike

All 81 +up ZX use the F54 block and they should be the same turbo or non-turbo. You should be able to find one down in Houston no problem. The earlier 280Z and ZX block will bolt up to everything major but it has a few differences. The cylinders have waterjackets between them and this might make the earlier block slightley more prone to cylinder wall movement. This is faily important if you were building something with a bore of 89mm and up but this should NOT be a problem with the stock bore. The earlier block will not have a spot for the detonation sensor and tranny brace peices.

The thing that is the most important IMO is the tranny braces as they do make this area stronger. I would use a F54 block unless it was impossible to get one reasonably.

I have a very good 82 F54 turbo block that I was starting a project motor with. It has no damage anywhere and it's bores run .002-.0025 over stock piston size. The bores have less that .0004 taper and average .0005 out-of- round. These clearances are within specs in the Nissan SM.

It has been pre-cleaned and partially polished in the crankcase (about 60% done). All bolt holes are flawless and have been carefully cleaned with taps.

I have rough honed the bores (with flat stones) and it is ready for it's final machine shop visit. I was going to have it vatted, decked, and platuea honed.

The main galley has been fitted with pipe plugs.

I wasn't planning on selling it but it could be bought or traded for?

It will make a good motor IMO (ASE Master Tech- Master Machinist, 20+years)

It is mounted on an engine stand right now and you are welcome to make the clearance checks yourself.

I believe you should be able to find a complete short block somewhere in Houston between 100-200 used and if you are lucky it will rebuild standard but if you cannot I am up in Ft. Worth.

Rick

I believe any zx block from 81 and up will have the same block (F54) that you can just pop all your internals into... The 280z's blocks are suposedly not as strong (N42 iirc) but I've heard of people using them for turbo applications with no problems. I think the 'turbo' block is more desirable for those building strokers and doing big overbore jobs, as it has more internal webbing/bracing.. but maybe it is a concern with a HUGE power turbo setup.. I dono. Not that I can actually locate one for you there, but I think you should be able to find any old zx pretty cheep..

edit; Dang.. ya beat me!

Guest ON3GO

im gonna contach Terry in Dallas. he might have some, last time i spoke to him he didnt have any at all. :(

i thought all ZX's had F54's glad i was right, now to find one.

i really just need to find one that all my stuff can fit into.

dont want to buy anything more!

i have my head, internals and etc, just need to get a new headgasket and block.

thanks guys.

anybody in houston know of any F54's forsale thats in good shape?

mike