HybridZ

synthetic oils

olie05

aight guys, Ted (thumper) has convinced me to do the switch to synthetics but I have a few questions.

Do I go to the same weight as i'm using in natural oil? 10w-30 synthetic?

What brands do you recommend? -please speak from experience, I'm worried about leaks

I want to learn as much about synthetics as possible, so any "recommended reading" websites are welcome.

thanks

-Oliver

aight guys' date=' Ted (thumper) has convinced me to do the switch to synthetics but I have a few questions.

Do I go to the same weight as i'm using in natural oil? 10w-30 synthetic?

What brands do you recommend? -please speak from experience, I'm worried about leaks

I want to learn as much about synthetics as possible, so any "recommended reading" websites are welcome.

thanks

-Oliver[/quote']

Weights go hand in hand for the most part, but different weights of synlubes will have higher & lower pour points as the same in earth oil.

So, a thicker synlube would flow better / faster than a thinner earth oil.

Amsoil is my choice, but others are better than the best earth oil.

I have used Amsoil for over 20 years and was an auto tech for 15 years so I seen the good and the bad and the ugly.

Visit my website (link below) and do some reading as well as search the web.

If you have any ?`s contact me off line I will be happy to help.

If your equipment is in good mechanical condition you should not have problems. If the insides of your engine, trans or diff is dirty or high mileage, you might want to change the lube (with regular oil) and run it for a 100 miles or so to clean things up before you make a switch to synlubes.

Synlubes WILL NOT cause mechical problems, but sometimes will bring exsisting problems to light.

Lack of or poor maintenence through the life of the equipment causes the problems!

well, as alot of others on the board, i've only used amsoil, and i've had great experiances with it. I have not got a chance to put it into the Z yet, but then again, i haven't really had a chance to do anything to the Z yet.

When my frends dad put it in his buick le sabre, and a few months later he took the valve covers off, and the valve springs looked brand new, it cleans the engine up pretty good, and when we put it in an MK3 supra, you could actually feel a diffrence in the amount of power it had, then the same supra started having shifting problems, and when we put amsoil in the tranny, and it shifts great now, feels like how a new car would shift. The guys dad is an amsoil dealer-hence the reason y they have it in all there cars. In his dads pontiac vibe, he has there new oil that only needs to b chance every 35,000 miles-YES THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND MILES, its at around 30,000 miles now, and its been recently tested and its doing great.

For wht i say, AMSOIL all the way, i plan on becoming a dealer when i turn 18, im a partial dealer through my frend and his dad-i just basicly get them buisness.

When my car gets out, i plan on doing a complete engine, tranny, and rear end oil flush, and replacing it with amsoil.

Its sum great stuff.

Stick with the 10w-30, not that it matters as much with synthetics, a thicker wieght earth oil, won't boil as easily, but if it gets cold-there is no way your car is gonna start, unless u build a fire under the oil pan-becuz its just too thick. And if u use a thinner wieght earth oil, then its horrible for ur engine when its hot-becuz the heat will only make it thinner and it won't stick to the cylinder walls. But with synthetics, no matter wich wieght you use, it will pour better at low temperatures, and it will poor better at high temperatues, it won't gum up or boil anywhere close to a crude based oil.

Basicly, whatever weight oil you use, it will out perform any crude based oil. As thick as it gets, it will still lubricate better then crude.

I would stay with 10w-30 for your engine. Wouldn't go any lower like 5w-30 or 0w-30. I have always run mobil 1 in my engine's and either redline or royal purple in the tranny and diff. My friend has run both amsoil and mobil 1 and he doesn't have a preference betweeen the two. But I remember some magazine did a test and they like the amsoil first then mobil 1. But for the price and ease of getting (go to walmart 19.99 for a 4qts) you can't beat it. For the maximum effect I would switch out the tranny and diff fluids too. Your welcome to come and over and do it over my house.