HybridZ

what size is the gland nut for strut tubes?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

i seached and read all about the b*tching on removing glad nuts, everyone talks of channel locks, etc.. what size is that nut so i can just go get a closed end wrench in that size to slap a pipe on though?

Not that easy to find a big boxend wrench to fit.....the last gland nuts I took off were 4 sided and 2 3/16 ths across. A good pipe wrench and cheater bar with the assistance of a torch will remove the most stubborn. If you find them hex sided .......figure on at least a 2 1/4 inch wrench which may be very expensive.. I have 3/4 inch sockets bigger than that but no wrench that big.

Go to a rental place and rent a cresent wrench big enough for the job.

Another option is find a Matco salesman and order with I call a Ford wrench. It is an F shaped adjustable wrench like a pipe wrench but with solid, square jaws for nuts and bolts. Probably one of the more useful tools I own. Opens to something like 3 or 4 inches.

dmdwrn1r.jpg

Here is a link. Only $22 for the smaller one

http://www.mytoolstore.com/diamond/dmdpage.html

Pipe wrenches may get the job done by why risk damaging the gland nut?

Guest JAMIE T
Pipe wrenches may get the job done by why risk damaging the gland nut?

I've been able to re-use all of the ones I've removed. They had teeth marks in them but they are far from being damaged. Besides, Strut inserts usually come with new nuts anyway, unless you're using another make strut(like using Rabbit or MR2 for front struts).

Funny you mention that. My father worked for the Union Pacific. I use to carry a UP issued monkey wrench in my Camaro until, no kidding, someone stole it. About 10 years ago I bought a new one from Matco.

Take a look at the link I posted above. It is an internet order place that sells Cresent Tool brand monkey wrenchs for $22 to $63 depending on size. Even the smallest one opens to 2 3/4 inches. Should work for gland nuts. As well as sink drains, drain clean out plugs, etc. etc.