HybridZ

Msa Air Dam ...

MAYHEM

I have a quick question about the MSA Air Dam and rear end cover. I removed both OEM bumpers and have been working around those little bumper shocks. Question is it possible to compress them some how to make room for the MSA kit be installed? I did a search but this was'nt asked. I have a '77. What is the best solution for them?

Cheers

MAYHEM

Rear drivers side can be simply removed. For the passenger side though' date=' you need to drop the tank to get the shock off (so I've heard). The front shocks can be simply removed also.

!M![/quote']

This is correct. I had to remove the tank on my '77 to get out the pass. rear.

There is a screw in the end of the shock that you can remove and let the pressure out of the shock and it will compress. I don't know if it will go in far enough to clear the bumper cover.

On a Sunday afternoon we tried this on my friends '76, but kept the stock bumper on. From what I remember, you could compress them after removing the screw, but they would still spring back out. We ended up having one person hold it in and the other ran a self tapper through the shock body/tube. It worked pretty good, but try and cover the area being drilled or you'll get sprayed with oil...found that out the hard way.

I took off all of the shocks except the passenger side rear. I did not want to drop the tank at the time so I used a cut off wheel and cut it off. I will however get around to dropping my tank one day to remove it permanantly.

If you choose to do this watch out for the spraying oil because when you break through the metal with the hot wheel the oil will spray everywhere. Eye protection a must.

I have a '77 with the MSA kit. I removed the front shocks because they were easy to access. The rears were much more difficult so I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the shocks to let the oil out and compressed them. The rear cover fit over the top of them fine.