HybridZ

Need help installing PDK fiberglass dash

Just wondering if anyone here has accomplished this? I did search this but only found general info on the dash itself, and not the installation part of it. I got mine last week, I got some tips from Marc at PDK but I'm sure there's more than one way to do this. It is a very nice piece, extremely light weight! Just trying to get additional ideas from the anyone here!

I realize I will most likely be welding in new brackets for the glass dash. Did anyone use any of the metal "skeleton" from the oem dash at all? Also curious about how to secure the wiring harness behind it? Any info would be great! Thanks.

I just ordered my gauges for mine. I'll tell you what I have done so far. By the way, I do agree it is a very nice piece and fits great.

For the part of the dash that goes down toward the center consol, I removed the stock supports from the stock dash, removed about 2 or 3 spot welds on each side and then used rivets and epoxy to mount this piece to the PDK dash. This allows for a mounting point from the PDK dash to the stock mounting point on the tranny tunnnel near the fuse box.

From the mounting points on the PDK dash on the far left and rioght lower corners of the dash, I drilled holes in the dahs and used nut, bolts and washers to mount the PDK dash to the stock dash mounting points that are near the air vent pulls. Use the washers to make sure the dash is sandwiched and not tightend down on a surface that is not perfectly flat.

For the mounting points at the leading edge on the top of the PDK dash, I made 5 brackets out of 1.5 inch wide aluminum that bolt to the stock dash mounting points just under the wind shield. Holes are drilled in the dash and thru the bracket and secured with nuts, bolts and washers.

Hope that helps. I could have made the console area brackets out of aluminum strips also but the stock parts were already bent correctly and easier for me to use them. I would take some pics but my son has the camera and has been to New Zealand and Australia. He'll be home soon so I could post pics if needed.

Mark

Thanks for the info! Seems like a good approach. I think I will be doing something very similar. I think because the glass dash is so light weight, I'm really concerned with it being able to hold the weight of everything going into the dash (guages, wiring, etc.)

Are you still going to use the heater/radio in yours? I'm hoping to still use them in mine and I might add "hidden" air vents under the dash but pointed towards the driver & pass. Just curious what you plan on doing?

I just drilled the holes for the 3 small guages. I used a 2 1/2" hole saw because that was the closest size I could find. A little sanding of the holes allowed the 2 5/8" guages to slide right in. I can't wait to get it done!

This is a race car so no radio or HVAC. I was suprised how sturdy mine was when I had it mounted in the car. By the way, the front glass was out and made the job much easier. I would be a bit leary of the heater controls. Repeated movement may weaken the glass over time. Only guessing here. I would try to add some support to that area.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Front glass will be out of mine as well (as soon as I can GET it out) It's stuck in there pretty good. The glass says Nissan on it so you can probably imagine!

I'm looking to use new style HVAC controls, hopefully. Definitly won't be using the oem cable system. And I'm thinking about mounting an aluminum "face plate" to add a little more support to that area of the dash. Thanks again.

Also, if you get a chance, could you post some pics of the way you did yours? Thanks