HybridZ

Header solutions on 280ZX (1979-1983)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking for header or exhaust manifold solutions on the 280ZX w/power steering.

I've got some info from Richard that I'll post here. Mine's a 1983 with the mid engine mounts on the V8 (383). My preference is shorty or block huggers (want maximum ground clearance). Thanks!!!! Mitch

Here's some input from Richard:

Other things may work but I only can speak about the way I did it. Use a header for an "80's small block Chevelle on the driver's side. The steering shaft will still have to be moved toward the outside of the car with a 3rd u-joint and short piece of shaft unless you cut and move the #1 cylinder header tube.

On the pass. side use a block hugger. The tubes on the block hugger and the shortie Chevelle header are close to the same length.

Like I say, there may be other methods for the power rack and steering version like I have but I can only speak for my solution.

Oh, angle plug heads are a no-no with this type header. The clearances for removing the plugs are terrible.

On a ZX w/power rack and pinion steering, any header or manifold that exits in the center will place the exhaust pipe flange directly over the steering sector box (where the sterring shaft goes in)with about 1/4" clearance so the exhaust pipe would have to pass right through it. So any block hugger on that side is out. A Z28 or truck rear exit iron manifold will probably work on that side, as would the corresponding headers. However, on the passenger side, I didn't have room for a rear exit header or manifold. With some afterthought I might could have done it, but chose to just go w/the Chevelle/hugger pair.

The '80's header I used just happens to be a Sandersen BTW. It resembles a block hugger but the exit is moved to the rear.

I might add that I've never seen the steering setups on other year ZX's nor have I seen in person another V8 powered ZX, so my knowledge cetainly isn't all inclusive.

My car is tentatively for sale BTW, if you know anyone interested. I just don't have time to finish up the minor stuff left todo.

later,

Richard

• 2 months later...

Mitch:

I'm looking for a header solution for an 83ZX/SBC with power rack&pinion. Thought I saw a post around the beginning of November on a 79ZX using a set of Hookers (part #2147 (which as you probably know is their 70-78 Z/SBC swap header)). I remember the comment posted about the drivers side header being in more than one piece.I wanted to follow-up since I do not have that part of my conversion solved yet either. Looked for the message earlier today and may have been confused on the date, but didn't find it. I'll let you know if I come up with any other solutions. I live around 70 miles from Jegs, and have a friend of a friend contact who works there. I may try to impose upon them and take my engine bay clearance space restraints to their parts desk and hopefully worm my way into their parts room to try various years of Camaro shorties. It may be several weeks before I'm able to work this, but if successful I'll post. Good luck!

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Hello there. DOnt' know if this helps any, but i used headman block hugger and had a muffler shop adapt the driver's side to go around my rack and pinion. It works great. Also, how has anyone hooked up the 280zx heater with the 350? thanks everyone

sean

------------------

"I feel the need, the need for speed!!"

Guest Anonymous

Just got my 1983 280ZXT back from the shop with the 350 installed. We were able to use block hugger headers, and like elobo97, had the driver side modified to go around the rack and pinion steering. I believe the collector was cut off at an angle, and a piece of straight pipe welded on at an angle to slip past the steering. They also had to dimple the tubes a little to make enough clearance for the angle head short spark plugs. The key: Find someone who wants to do the mods, and has the experience. Mitch.