HybridZ

Paint options, need advice...

Guest Nikolai

Guest Nikolai

Ok I'm getting ready to paint my Z and I have a few questions that I can't find straight answers to doing a search. I've currently got the body straight, bondo'd and rattle can primed.

What would you do next? I bought some Rustoleum proffesional primer I was going to try but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to use. What would you guys use as far as a good (inexpensive) primer? I just bought a decent paint gun set and am ready to go. I'm still deciding on color but I think I'm sticking with HOK.

What about clear coats? What would be the best (inexpensive) way to go with that as well?

I'm no painter but rustoleum does not soung like a good idea for a car. I'd go to a decent auto parts supply house (not pep boys autozone etc...) and ask what they recomend. Also, I would sand the rattle can paint off and put a better base down ( better primer ).Nows not the time to cut corners.

Also, I would sand the rattle can paint off and put a better base down ( better primer ).Nows not the time to cut corners.I agree 100%. If you are going with HOK I would use their recommended primer and clear coat. If you go with a different paint maker then I would use what they said works best with their paint.

I'm in the same boat as you- body straight, bondo, rattle can primer. Just have a rocker and the hood left. For what its worth, I found PPG Omni epoxy primer and base for under $200 locally- paint, primer, catalyst, hardner, reducer.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread.