HybridZ

Chevy wiring.. older tbi caprice

Well, I did a search, but all I can come up with is LS1 stuff, or vauge references. This isn't a Z, but an 86 RX7 project btw...I figured you guys might be able to help me though, this site is awesome. :)

I have in my posesion a 1989 caprice, ex police cruiser. 350/700r4 runs/drives great. Covered in oi, and a bit dirty, but what do you want for $160 (was $200 yesterday, I noticed the oli leaking as it was going on the flat bed today, and dickered with the seller some more. :twisted: )

l I want to pull driveline and whole FI harness, to 'drop' into my mazda. (to get it going, I'll pull it this winter and rebuild maybe) Really my question is.. How difficult is it going to be to pull all the wiring and ecu/modules/ect that I'll need, out of this old tank intact? I'm not up on my chevy stuff when it comes to FI/electrical.. I don't know where evrything is, what it does, ect. Oh..and I've got 1 week to get everything I need befor the car gets towed to the J/Y. (it's on my bosses property right now) Is this even feasable to use the stock chevy electrical, and 'splice' it into another car? I know of a guy who did just this in an s10 a few years back, but thats chev to chev, and besides, he's not around lately.. I figured there would have to be at least a few people here who have done it. (Z car or other) Anyone?

Um.. thanks, theres some good info there.. the problem I have, is that this is a throttle body FI system and NOT a newer LT1 or LS1 system. I'm working on it, but thought someone may have already done some of the 'leg work' on this, and save me some time/frustration. I pulled the chevy ecu and dash harness out today, and tomorrow when I pull the motor/trans I'll get the engine bay harness. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm at a loss as to where/how to power the computer.. and I don't like the thought of wiring it all up, and something frying or catching fire.. I NEED to know exactly what wires are what.. Guess I'm off to search the net for a 1989 Caprice wiering diagram.. :)

Well, I got my hands on a haynes book (87 chev truck, but it's pretty close as far as the FI system) and my eyes went buggy for a while trying to read and follow all those little lines! :lol: I think all I will need is key on power to the distributor, and assuming all else is hooked up proper, it should work. I'm still fuzzy on how the fuel pump is going to work, but I'm hoping a solution will present itself.. perhaps the mazda pump wiring will work without too much hacking..

It's no biggie.

Get a manual with good wiring diagrams. A factory Helm manual would be best but may cost as much as you paid for the car! The JTR TPI/TBI book is very helpful as a basic manual for swapping FI motors. TBI is a speed/density type FI. A little study and you will see it's pretty simple.

Does the car have a "pellet" in the ignition key? If so you've got VATS. It's not an embarassing disease (though some act like it is). Just make sure you take the VATS modual and the ignition key before you junk the car.

Also, make friends with strotter. He knows those older GM ECUs like the back of his hand.

The most reliable trouble free motors I've owned have been the TBI's in my Chevy trucks.

It's no biggie.

Get a manual with good wiring diagrams. A factory Helm manual would be best but may cost as much as you paid for the car! The JTR TPI/TBI book is very helpful as a basic manual for swapping FI motors. TBI is a speed/density type FI. A little study and you will see it's pretty simple.

Does the car have a "pellet" in the ignition key? If so you've got VATS. It's not an embarassing disease (though some act like it is). Just make sure you take the VATS modual and the ignition key before you junk the car.

Also' date=' make friends with strotter. He knows those older GM ECUs like the back of his hand.

The most reliable trouble free motors I've owned have been the TBI's in my Chevy trucks.[/quote']

I'm not sure what you mean by 'pellet' in the key.. Looks like any old chevy key I've ever seen.. What exatly is this VATS you speek of? (And is there a cure? :lol: j/k)

I did exactly what you are describing(mating the Datsun harness to the Chevy harness). Basically all you will need from the Mazda harness for the engine(not gauges) is the fuel pump wiring, ignition wiring and starter wiring. Everything else should be the Chevy harness.

As for finding out which wires you will need from the ECU, I cant seem to say just how much I like "ALLDATA Online" They break down each section of the engine wiring into little easy to read wiring diagrams. The ignition system has one page, data sensors have one page, fuel system has one page, tranny has one page, etc. Go to the page that I have set up for the 95' LT1 wiring, that is what you will get for the Caprice wiring diagrams! I found them extremly easy to read and figured out how to modify my factory harness with out any issues.

I am not 100% sure but I dont think the VATS system came out till like 94'. I know the 93' Camaro didnt have a VATS system...

Guy

Well, I can see now that I DON"T have VATS.. whew.. :icon44: Anyway, I think I have a good idea now what I'll have to do.. There is a little issue of which alternator to use.. I was thinking of buuilding a bracket for the SBC to use the mazda alternator, as the wiring is already there.. but I'd have to rig a serpintine belt pully onto it.. The chevy alternator shouldn't be too hard to wire up though, and has the proper pully to start with.. The thing I notice about the chevy harness, is that EVRYTHING is tied to evrything else. :icon8: The starter wiring, alternator and all the FI sensors go into one big wiring loom, and at the ECU, two square plugs go in, but another comes out of the harness (before ecu) and goes under the dash to the fuse panel. Then ANOTHER mess from the engine bay side of the fuse panel, into the same harness/loom. God almighty I want to slap a GM enginer.. :lol: I'm gona have a look at it tonight and see if I can't pull all the 'useless to me' wires out of the harness.. hopefully, I'll be left with enough to run the engine... (which isn't even in place yet.. have to get it in and build some mounts..)

Thanks for the replys so far guys, you rock. :)