HybridZ

Help! Not Z...

The timing belt went on my wife's 96 VW Jetta. It is a GLS with a 2.0 liter 8 valve. I was wondering if anyone knew about line-ing up the marks on the sprockets. If it is like any other one i have done it is pretty easy. But on three of the gears there is also a big OT engraved on the other side not quite 180 degrees though.

The belt lost the teeth in one spot at the crank and the top end hasn't moved so...if I could somehow re-align the crank I should be good. Not knowing much about these engines i am concerned that if I am 180 off i will "F" the valves up. Anybody ever do one of these?

That engine is an interference engine AFAIK. Thus, if the belt went while driving, then the valves and pistons went dancing, and the motor will likely be toast.

Nevermind, I was wrong...the 16V is interference, the 8 valve is not.....

same site..

For starters, always turn the engine by the crank, now on two consecutive teeth of the cam gear there are the letters OT, line up the middle of those letters with the corresponding arrow on the plastic piece on the valve cover. the rotor should be pointing 180 degrees from you towards the firewall, next, look to the right of the head on top of the bellhousing there will be a green cap, unscrew this cap, stand to the side of the engine and look for the little arrow cast into the bellhousing pointing down towards the flywheel, there should be a mark on the flywheel that looks like an O, line those two up and make sure everything else is lined up as well. boom, timed.

Hmm... Auto again...