HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Upate #42

Finally got the Hurst shifter installed on the T56 yesterday and now I'll have to tear it all apart one more time. The custom shift lever I was using on the stock shifter put the shift knob about 4-5" further back than the 'stock' position Hurst unit does. The shifter works significantly better than the stock but I feel like I'm reaching for the radiator cap when I'm gong for the odd numbered gears. I'm debating whether to modify the pretty Hurst shift lever or just throw the old lever back in. I've grown fond of the Hurst shift ball with the 6-spd pattern on it and the "HURST" on each side so I'll probably end up modifying the new one. I don't think the Hurst ball will fit the old lever as it has a custom thread too.

Totally agree. I'll probably shorten mine about 1 1/2-2" and put a tab on the front of it that moves it back about 1" and then tilts it back another 3". THe Hurst unit has a short enough throw that I can just about 'wrist it' through the gears.

I think this shifter will work fine. It is the "UMI Short Stick for 93 – 02 GM F-Body 6 speed". It mounts on the other side of the shifter rod and is angled towards the driver quite a bit. The company that makes it is UMI Performance and it cost 19.95 on special. Of course shipping was 8.95.

Of course with the short stick you don’t have the leverage you did before so going into reverse with the lockout on is a little harder, but the throw is reduced by quite a bit and the angle compensates nicely for the reduced length.

http://www.circuitflex.com/FirstGearDriver.jpg

http://www.circuitflex.com/FirstGearPassenger.jpg

http://www.circuitflex.com/SecondGearPassenger.jpg

Dale,

With my short arms I need the shifter to locate about 3-4" back from that location. That is where my stock Hurst shift lever is located now. I'll either reinstall the modified lever I had on the stock GM shifter or 'tweak' the Hurst.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Hurst shift lever started coming loose - no loctite - so it was time to pull it apart again. Almost all good news. The Hurst shift ball has the same thread as the ball on my old, modified Nissan lever so it screwed right on. The old lever took a little modifying to mate up ok with the bolt pattern on the Hurst shifter but it eventiually fit up and is now bolted in place with locktite & lock washers. WOW - what a difference! The Nissan lever is about 1 1/2"horter than the Hurst and moves the ball back about 4" from where the Hurst was. It takes a little more effort because of the shorter throw but the shifts are now all well within my arms reach, fast and precise. It relly feels good.

Anyone need a pretty chrome shift lever that says "HURST" on it?:-D

When I installed a T56 in a Camaro of mine several years ago, I used a short old style Hurst lever, that had 3/8" threads, the white 6 speed ball I orderd from Jeg's had a larger metric thread, so I made an "adapter bushing".

Took a bolt that fit the ball, drilled a hole in the center, tapped for 3/8", and cut it approx 1/2" long...

Worked great..

I think they make something similar aftermarket now.